Basic 2 stroke engine questions

E

Erik R

Hello, I recently have become very interested in building a motorized bike and was just wondering if I would still be able to use the gears on the bike when the motor isn't running. I plan on using an older style suspensionless mountain bike.

The clutch parts of the engine, and the chain, do add a bit of resistance to your pedalling. This becomes annoying after some distance. It's a drag. There are some things that you can do to keep the drag to a minimum.
But you can certainly still pedal without running the engine.
You can pedal along with the engine too, if you have the gears to keep up with the higher speed of the motorised bike.

The clutch parts of the engine, and the chain, do add a bit of resistance to your pedalling. This becomes annoying after some distance. It's a drag. There are some things that you can do to keep the drag to a minimum.
But you can certainly still pedal without running the engine.
You can pedal along with the engine too, if you have the gears to keep up with the higher speed of the motorised bike.
Definitely, if you are going up a steep hill you can help the engine get it's RPMs up by peddling and mountain bikes are great because you can switch to to higher gear and help it at higher speeds.

I would rather push my bike home than pedal it with the engine dead. Too much drag. It feels like you are pedaling with the brakes on.

Then your doing it wrong. Probably still use the 415 and s**ty stock tensioner. Or your clutch isn't fully disengaged.
I kinda thought the same thing. I have no problem peddling my bike with the motor not running. Really the only difference I notice is the extra noise from the extra chains moving.

Last edited:
Doesn't it depend on how far away from home you are?
I don't mind pedalling some distance, I always do pedal in town; but there is some added drag. It is less efficient to pedal my bicycle now than it was before I motorised it, but it is still much better than walking.

The actual number of Watts lost depends on speed, and therefore of course the gear ratio, as well as the weight of the chain, and the quality and lubrication of the main clutch bearings and the clutch hub bearing. I would guess there's about 25 Watts lost at my usual pedalling speed.

If I had to ride far without using the engine I'd still pedal, though. I'd just remove the motor chain first because it is very easy to do. A lot easier than walking!

Back