Basic Tech question

I removed the 5mm exhaust studs & tapped them to 6mm x1.0mm pitch. Done the same thing on the intake as well.

Thanks DT. Is there enough metal, the aluminum in these engines is so soft.
I got a true huasheng 142f & I havent had a issue with removing the old 5mm stud, then get a 6mmx1.0mm starting/taper tap & tap/thread the bolt hole. Go slow & blow the hole out about every 1/4 to a 1/2 a turn of the tap. Works good, & no need for any drilling.

I bought 6mmx1.0mm 12.9 hardened allen bolts, 100mm long fully threaded. Then I cut the head off of the bolt & used them as studs. Plus being that Long you can cut them whatever length you need.
Screenshot_20230306-181952_Chrome.jpg

Very smart. Better to wrench on tempered steel than the cheap pot metal studs. Do you Loctite them? My red Loctite never comes loose, at least not so far.

Very smart. Better to wrench on tempered steel than the cheap pot metal studs. Do you Loctite them? My red Loctite never comes loose, at least not so far.
I would not use red loctite on aluminum, unless you never want it to come apart, Or it will pull every thread out of the aluminum when you remove the stud. I use blue loctite #243 pretty much on everything.

Actually Metric 8.8 is better because the studs need a little thermal expansion

Look at any Metric M/C head bolt's or studs their not 12.9 their 8.8 , they do that for a reason Thermal Expansion of the studs & bolts

The case, cyl, and head metals expand and contract, so bolt or stud has to do the same, 8.8 is not too hard and not too soft

Back