Batteries for the cold?

INTP_ty

Local time
7:44 PM
Minnesota

Temps -10 to 25

I need something that’ll survive the cold! Wake up in the morning & my lights never turn on. Currently using a lateen 6V battery.

Idk what to do. Try a 9V & a regulator?

A 9 volt what?
A 9V square battery ..from the Dollar Tree
Batteries produce electricity by chemical reaction, heat is a catalyst, good for chemical reactions cold (not so much) try a lithium power pack under your coat to power your lights take it in at night to charge it, there are a bunch of bike lights LED extremely bright that use a USB cord to a power pack, you can also charge your phone

A 9 volt what?

Batteries produce electricity by chemical reaction, heat is a catalyst, good for chemical reactions cold (not so much) try a lithium power pack under your coat to power your lights take it in at night to charge it, there are a bunch of bike lights LED extremely bright that use a USB cord to a power pack, you can also charge your phone
Well... Sealed lead acid doesn't give up in the cold, probably the only thing reason I'm using one currently- speaking of which it's got plenty of amps.

Lithium ion is a good alternative but I've noticed they do have problems in the cold, many days I went out in the below-freezing Temps and had my li-ion set up refuse to give power, to which I started simply removing the battery before parking it so I could still have light when I came back.

You've probably heard of hothands, the little pouch that warms up after you open the package, I was tempted to stick one on the battery after getting tired of pulling it in freezing weather but shortly after switched to the lead acid battery just because. I think if you took one and put it near or in the container holding them you could keep them running should you want the lazy route.

Actual lithium batteries, generally used for high performance needs, will work on their own in freezing temps, you can get them, made by energizer they last longer and naturally cost more, but work at lower temperature than the standard alkaline type do.

Ni-cad work in the cold rather reliably, they use them on satellites orbiting earth with good success, and military equipment is still produced with them because of the outright dependability they offer.

Back