BB 49cc 5G 4 stroke

dorourke

Local time
2:41 AM
I posted a question on "what is the best four stroke engine" thread. It since has turned into a heated argument. My question is this: I bought a 49cc 5G 4 stroke from BB with the belt tran. has anyone in this support group run one of these? does anyone have one? What are my concerns with this engine? I'm putting it on an 85 Schwinn & 26" cruiser, (heavy in metal). Will this engine be enough to move the bike? I already bought it and in a week I would find out if it was a good choice. I had a few problems with the 2 stroke engines and would really apretiate a somewhat reliable engine. I'm addicted to this now!

Hey,
I mounted the HS 49cc 4Stroke with the 5G gearbox on a Schwinn cruiser a few months ago (there is a pic somewhere on this site under Barry) and have had zero problems with it. Living in a reletively flat area, she pulls a 270 pounder down the road @ 28 MPH. I just clicked over 28 miles so far. I ended up chopping the rear fender off at the top attach point for chain clearance and also chopped the forward end of the front fender to install a front brake.
You will find that when you attach the rear sproket to the hub that the distance is limited. I just mated the rear sproket right up against the spokes and only used the segments on the inside part. Works great so far.
Good Luck
Barry

Thanks Barry, good to here from you. I am eager to get sterted with this one and look foreward to many miles of riding. What are the things I need to look for when maintaining the engine in both break in period and maintainence, If anyone can refer me to a thread or tecnical website I would greatly apretiate it.

Hello again,
Three more things came to mind after I wrote you: First, you know you must use wide pedal cranks on this one. The original 5G kit I got from SpookyTooth has some of the parts but, not all. As luck would have it, I had also ordered a 4G kit from BikeMotor and this kit had the bearing cup adapter and the correct bearings. Next, the muffler did not clear the forward tube. I snapped off a head screw trying to bend it to no avail. I ordered one of those long, two piece mufflers and that fixed that.
The engine started on the first pull but, I noted that it was running very lean and there is no mixture adjustment. I'm now starting it at full choke and run it at 1/2 choke and that seems to be working well.
I added straight HD 30 weight oil initially and plan to change oil at 100 mile intervals ( I only have 28 miles on the odometer so far) and am using a dry lube on the chains.
Hope this helps a bit.
Barry

"the muffler did not clear the forward tube. I snapped off a head screw trying to bend it to no avail."

I can tourch the pipe if I need to, that's no problem. When I get the kit in I will assess all I must do. I do need a three part crank set up, I have the old type Schwinn Cruiser with the one piece crank. BikeBerry sent me a manual on installation and maintainence. I have somewhat high hopes for this kit.

Back