BBR motor ready frame Q's

rusty.western.flyer

Local time
9:08 AM
Ordered a BBR with the 12ga spoke and fixed front fork. My buddy has a 29" BMX that rides awesome on the Maxxis Hookworm, but the 26" tires only come in 2.5". I'm pretty crafty when it comes to metal work, but anyone else using this combo? Any issues with the rear side pull and tire aspect?

Thx!

Ordered a BBR with the 12ga spoke and fixed front fork. My buddy has a 29" BMX that rides awesome on the Maxxis Hookworm, but the 26" tires only come in 2.5". I'm pretty crafty when it comes to metal work, but anyone else using this combo? Any issues with the rear side pull and tire aspect?

Thx!
I personally dont own one, but are you worried about the width of the tire in relation to the brake shoes & brake arms? If so, you can buy brake shoe spacers, to spacer them out. Basically there just a glorified thick washer.

Thx!
Which frame did you order? I have the tank frame motor ready bike. Expect quite a bit of work putting it together so it actually functions. It will take too much space here to describe all of the fixing I had to do to get my bike running safely but keep us posted

Attachments

• bike back.jpg
    bike back.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 173
  • bike front.jpg
    bike front.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 154
Pretty sure it's the same bike...

I've cut me teeth motorizing a Mongoose Dolomite (stolen) and still have the Wester Flyer. Was going to put Hookworms on the Flyer, but it really needs a wheel tear-down and, taking it much over 15-20mph is rickety - instead, upped the budget and got a clearance "open box" motor ready. Plan on using the stuff that comes with to iron out any bugs, and swap the motor from Rusty so he can get some love.

Pretty sure it's the same bike...

I've cut me teeth motorizing a Mongoose Dolomite (stolen) and still have the Wester Flyer. Was going to put Hookworms on the Flyer, but it really needs a wheel tear-down and, taking it much over 15-20mph is rickety - instead, upped the budget and got a clearance "open box" motor ready. Plan on using the stuff that comes with to iron out any bugs, and swap the motor from Rusty so he can get some love.
Wow... deja vu.. Mine was open box. Was really beat up. Gouge in the downtube very deep. Wheels so bent and poorly welded at the seam they were unusable and thumped up and down when I rode it. Break discs bent, of course no motor mount and they then added the disclaimer after my purchase that it was not as pictured. The fork top clamp does not have the clamps on it. It is captured and held in place by the stem and was a PITA to get it tight by myself. Perhaps I did not have the right technique but i was not used to a fork not threaded or top clamp that was not clamped to the side bars of the triple tree. The creme de la creme was the missing weld at the back of the tank and seat tube so gas just poured out the first time i filled it. They suggested I just patch it with epoxy....Now it is fixed and running great, but the longitudinal flex in it when I grab the handle bars and "wiggle" it makes me nervous for what the future holds for that bike. I have had it up to 34 mph with my stock 48cc so far. It is fun but it is pretty light also. Good Luck

Thanks for the heads up
Wow... deja vu..
Thanks for the heads up! As with anything that's made in Asia, figure there will be nuances. Fortunately, I have the equipment to do any repairs (even welding). Hopefully the wheels aren't too bent up, I got the BBR over the Zeda because it has spokes instead of mags. I started building a beach cruiser and put those mags on before a motor, went to inflate the tire and the side of the rim blew out!

EDIT: The bike showed up today. As you guys suggested, the rotors are bent, the wheels need straightening, quite scratched on the frame, and there was 9/16" pedals with a 1/2" crank threads (they already shipped replacements). The triple tree and fork went together just fine (turns out it is cheap suspension, not fixed), but the rear ended up coming with a rotor brake (was supposed to be side pull caliper), so the rear wheel is quite offset and will need to stretch the stays and add a spacer. Also, as mentioned, there is no motor mount. With all the scratches, contemplating stripping the areas needed and TIG'ing some mounts and shave the stuff not needed before moving on.

That's probably as far as I will get today, maybe will start a build thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20220314_145602_1.jpg
    IMG_20220314_145602_1.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 164
Thanks for the heads up

Thanks for the heads up! As with anything that's made in Asia, figure there will be nuances. Fortunately, I have the equipment to do any repairs (even welding). Hopefully the wheels aren't too bent up, I got the BBR over the Zeda because it has spokes instead of mags. I started building a beach cruiser and put those mags on before a motor, went to inflate the tire and the side of the rim blew out!

EDIT: The bike showed up today. As you guys suggested, the rotors are bent, the wheels need straightening, quite scratched on the frame, and there was 9/16" pedals with a 1/2" crank threads (they already shipped replacements). The triple tree and fork went together just fine (turns out it is cheap suspension, not fixed), but the rear ended up coming with a rotor brake (was supposed to be side pull caliper), so the rear wheel is quite offset and will need to stretch the stays and add a spacer. Also, as mentioned, there is no motor mount. With all the scratches, contemplating stripping the areas needed and TIG'ing some mounts and shave the stuff not needed before moving on.

I would enjoy a build thread of your process, of course with pics thou!!! 🤣😂

Thanks for the heads up

Glad you got it and no surprise. The pictures show the caliper brakes but the description says "Disc" which is what they ship. I did not need to widen my frame. It fit fine. I used the universal CNC mount and think that is more adaptable than a fixed mount and worth the $25. Check the rims without the tires on and look at the weld. That is where my rims became useless. The bike shop I took the wheels to said they could not straighten them as the welds of each edge were not on plane so they could not be "pulled" back straight. Mine rolled with a pronounced "Thump" do to being out of round, not just warped.

Also check the weld at the backend of the tank which is where mine was leaking due to missed weld.

Glad you got it and no surprise. The pictures show the caliper brakes but the description says "Disc" which is what they ship. I did not need to widen my frame. It fit fine. I used the universal CNC mount and think that is more adaptable than a fixed mount and worth the $25. Check the rims without the tires on and look at the weld. That is where my rims became useless. The bike shop I took the wheels to said they could not straighten them as the welds of each edge were not on plane so they could not be "pulled" back straight. Mine rolled with a pronounced "Thump" do to being out of round, not just warped.

Also check the weld at the backend of the tank which is where mine was leaking due to missed weld.
Don't "need" to widen the frame, but, as you can see, there's a huge offset due to the sprocket and rotor. Moving the spacers to the right will make the rotor hit the frame. So, plan is to just spread the stays and add spacers to the right.

Attachments

• IMG_20220314_185218.jpg
    IMG_20220314_185218.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 162
Back