Be Safe

Marktur

Local time
6:30 PM
GUYS: WEAR A HELMET. My sister is a Nuerologist/Psychologist and works with head trama victims. She scared the **** out of me. Even though we all say "It's not going to happen to me", the odds are that it will happen to SOME of us. You're not a nerd if you wear a seatbelt in your car, or ride with a helmet - you're just being smart.

PS. After I said something to my 11 year old, he said: "Dad, I'm just wearing it because you and mom make me, but I'm not going to fall off and hit my head". And I said "Not willingly...that's why they call it an ACCIDENT". An accident is an unplanned event...

So I picked up a pretty cool DOT half-shell helmet online for under $35...it came in today...not too much heavier than a bicycle or skateboard helmet (yes, I'm 43 and still ride a skateboard and surf, too), and much more comfortable. Oh, and did I say safer? Yesirrreeebob - I want to live to be an old-timer, but have fun getting there, too!

Sorry for the lecture, I'll step down from the mic now... ;)

Can somebody recommend their pick for best helmet? Even if its a link to a pic so I can see the best style I need.

I tend to only wear mine when i travel more than a few miles from home. Which is stupid, because most accidents happen within a few miles from home.

I agree and I too wear a DOT half-shell.

Having been involved in litigation involving brain injuries....it ain't pretty.

I have already realized that if I simply strap it to my handlebars after a ride, I'm reminded to just put it on before I fire it up.

When I was ordering my helmet, I actually had thoughts like "I'm going to look really stupid" to "It's going to be hot and uncomfortable" to "OMG, a good helmet can cost hundreds of dollars".

Go to Ebay, and type in "Half Shell Helmet DOT" and you'll find very low price, but CERTIFIED helmets. I ended up getting one that was all chrome with flames on top, thinking that it would be much cooler in the Florida Summer Sun than a black one, and today I can say for sure that I did not feel the sun on my head at all.

One wreck that causes scratches on your helmet will easily justify ANY amount of money spent. If you scratch the helmet, remember that skin is MUCH software and tears much easier.

The most amazing thing in Florida I've ever seen was getting rid of the helmet requirement....I guess Darwin was involved in that decision. I saw a guy today on a huge crotch-rocket, speeding around 80 or 90 mph with a t-shirt, shorts, sneakers, and no helmet. CRAZY!!!

I wouldnt ride without a helmet even my non assisted bicycle......

I can't stand peddling a bike with a helmet on. I sweat LIKE CRAZY! After getting sick of taking it off every 3 minutes to wipe my head off, I end up leaving it off.

Back