Beach Cruiser 48cc

Here's a pic of my bike with the motor I put in last week.
Only a few obstacles on the install such as,
Front down tube was too big and I needed to drill a hole for the front engine mount. The supplied clutch cable keep stretching so I replaced it with one I had lying around which seemed to be heavier duty. The drive chain clears the rear tyre by about 5mm, so before fitting the rear guard I will have to trim the guard a fair bit.

I still have more work to do such as, mount front and rear guards. In order to get the drive chain the right length I’ve had to loosen the pedal chain, I will be making and idle for the pedal chain, because I think the idler that comes with the drive chain is pretty poor, besides the pedals don’t turn much anymore. I will also be adding some lights, is there anyone who knows where I can get some old skool, dragster looking lights in AU? I’m also going to try and work out a tacho, has anyone got a tacho? I’ll keep you all up to date with progress.

BTW I’m an auto electrician so if anyone has electrical questions more than happy to help.

1358_RatRod_Bike_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking cool stertz.... got my front light,
http://i24.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/96/a9/104e_1.JPG
off evay, guy has a website also www.lowlifer.com
Here it is fitted,

41_IMGP2299_1.jpg

For a rear light I want to use a Model A Ford taillight, but converted to bettery power.... you may be able to help me with this :)
About your chain, mine is way long too, even after removing nine links with the bench grinder ;) I'm going to try and get it as tight as I can and do away with the idler altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
That light is what I want, but the web site doesn't work for me, I had it in my fav's from ages ago but no longer works. Is the light bright ?

As for your rear light the model A idea sounds sick. I was thinking of maybe a maltese cross? As for how to? buy a cheap LED tail light, I would strip the both of them and put the LED's into to cross with batteries and all, and stealth a switch somewhere.

I've got my chain to the right tension with out the tensioner(I wouldn't use the tensioner if you paid me, it looks so cheap and crap I think it would fall apart in the 1st test ride) it is my pedal chain that is a little loose, but not loose enough to take a link out so I will make an idler for it.

BTW your bike is awesome. Do you know where the front end is from?(forks & bars)

Easiest tach is a "TinyTach". It's a digital tach plus hour meter. Very small and attaches by wrapping a wire around the spark plug lead. They're commonly used on garden tractors and such. Cost about $35.

Moth

Stertz said:
That light is what I want, but the web site doesn't work for me, I had it in my fav's from ages ago but no longer works. Is the light bright ?

Doesn't really light up the road well, but is plenty bright for cage drivers to see.

As for your rear light the model A idea sounds sick. I was thinking of maybe a maltese cross? As for how to? buy a cheap LED tail light, I would strip the both of them and put the LED's into to cross with batteries and all, and stealth a switch somewhere.

Will do

BTW your bike is awesome. Do you know where the front end is from?(forks & bars)

Thanks mate, I didn't build the bike itself, only fitted the motor, when I get it back I'll see if there's maybe something stamped on the forks and let you know.

Back