Beach cruiser and mountain bike chains

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuginfc

Local time
11:21 PM
I have a cruiser but it has gears like a mountain bike I was wondering if I could use this chain on a single speed coaster brake hub and if not could I use beach cruiser chain with my front sprockets gonna remove the derailed shifter and the 2 bigger sprockets on my crank

The problem/difference is in the width of either chain. One is 3/16 and the other is 1/8. The wider chain would work on a SINGLE front chain ring but probably would get hung up on the rear cogs unless you are going to remove the cassette and replace with a single speed rear cog. I don't get why you want to do this. Chains are cheap. Get the right one for the job.
Just my 2 cents.
Nutz

i want a new rear rim with coaster brake this way i have three brakes and wont wear out my pads as much

i dont want to change out my whole crankset just for a diff chain to fit

I have a schwinn delmar cruiser single speed with coaster brake and my rear wheel coaster brake always needed adjusting and would make horrible noises. The cruiser peddal chain is wide and the same size as #415 chain and the same as my engine chain.
I switch out my coaster brake wheel with a multi gear mountain bike rim and put my cruiser tire on it(my cruiser chain fits a gear and has plenty of room between gears but i only use one gear,the one that lines up with my peddal gear). I switched out my front cruiser fork for a mountain bike fork with shocks and caliper brakes built into the forks and the brakes stop on a dime. The rear wheel is quiet and works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back