Beach Cruiser Tires Speed Rating?

Local time
7:14 AM
Okay so I had a pretty bad experience yesterday. I was doing about 35 mph on my motorized Kent Bayside and pressed the brakes to slow down for a light. The front tire immediately blew out and I was on the ground in less than a second. I'm pretty badly injured now :( Luckily didn't break anything. There are multiple rips in the tire, and I made sure to install the tube properly and checked that the tube isn't sticking out so I don't think that was the issue. (Although who knows, still could've screwed it up)

I'm starting to suspect the crappy kent beach cruiser tires that originally came with the bike. Obviously they are meant for going maybe 10 miles an hour, not over 30 continuously. Could this have been the cause of my blowout? I'm a little scared to get back on the bike again. A mistake I might've made was pumping the tires to their maximum recommended limit (65 psi) in hopes of increasing my efficiency, though I'm not sure how relevant this is.

I just want to really want to minimize the risk of this happening again. Any suggestions?

That's way too much psi. I've blown a couple at 50 psi. Usually stick with 35psi.

That's way too much psi. I've blown a couple at 50 psi. Usually stick with 35psi.
Just fifty? Were these the (I'm assuming crappy) stock tires that came with your bike? My only issue with running 35 psi is that my bike is a friction drive, so although I can run that low in the front, the roller starts to slip if I have it under 50ish in the back. If I upgrade my tires I'm guessing I would be a lot safer?

I also have an e bike with decent tires that has way more power than my motorized bike (it does almost 50 mph and has six hp running through the gears) and I've never had a tire blowout in over 1000 miles of riding. Though, that is a much better quality bike (Trek Marlin 6)

What type brakes do you have? I have a similar bike..Schwinn Siesta. I put caliper brakes on my bike because it came with a coaster brake. These caliper brakes are not intended to be used on an engine driven bike rolling 35mph. They flex and distort the caliper frames trying to stop a fast roll. The pads can easily walk off the rim and touch the tires. I would imagine this creates a dangerous situation. These caliper brakes are not much better than the coaster brake. If you have cheap caliper brakes I'd be mindful of this. Another thing you mentioned..these walmart tires are not rated for 30-35 mph. I'm currently looking at fitting this bike with better brakes and tires. I have it capable of rolling faster than it can do safely and looking for more. It's always more. That's a big part of the problem.

It seems like your brake pad came loose and your tire caught it. I also have a Bayside Cruiser. Great frame to build on IMHO. But, I never used the factory wheels or tires, but I am using the brakes. I am waiting on parts to upgrade to a disc brake unit. I don't really trust the brakes for more than 15 mph.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. Sorry I didn't open my prior post saying this. Also... I hope you didn't tear up your bike too bad.

I'm starting to suspect the crappy kent beach cruiser tires that originally came with the bike. Obviously they are meant for going maybe 10 miles an hour,
That would be correct...I never use the stock tires or tubes that come with these bikes, they just cannot take it...This is what i use and never have problems...See links below.

A mistake I might've made was pumping the tires to their maximum recommended limit (65 psi) in hopes of increasing my efficiency, though I'm not sure how relevant this is.
Also i never go by max PSI that is written on the tires either, i adjust them to where im sitting on it and they don't look flat allowing for flexibilty factors...In my case with these Kevlar tires on stiff mag wheels with disk brakes, i have them set at 38 PSI, not the 40 to 60 PSI the tires recommend...I never have flats, blow outs, or slow leaks or any other problems with this set up...hope this helps and glad your OK...DAMIEN

Ps...I have 3000 miles on a pair of these that are still in great condition and i keep them as spares if i ever need them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Sports-Glide-Comfort-Road-Tire-with-Kevlar-26-x-1-75/15188807

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Su...r-Tube-Schrader-26-x1-75-2-125-30081/49455299

Okay so I had a pretty bad experience yesterday. I was doing about 35 mph on my motorized Kent Bayside and pressed the brakes to slow down for a light. The front tire immediately blew out and I was on the ground in less than a second. I'm pretty badly injured now :( Luckily didn't break anything. There are multiple rips in the tire, and I made sure to install the tube properly and checked that the tube isn't sticking out so I don't think that was the issue. (Although who knows, still could've screwed it up)

I'm starting to suspect the crappy kent beach cruiser tires that originally came with the bike. Obviously they are meant for going maybe 10 miles an hour, not over 30 continuously. Could this have been the cause of my blowout? I'm a little scared to get back on the bike again. A mistake I might've made was pumping the tires to their maximum recommended limit (65 psi) in hopes of increasing my efficiency, though I'm not sure how relevant this is.

I just want to really want to minimize the risk of this happening again. Any suggestions?
What happened is. When stopping from M/B speeds the rim brake pads heats up the rim and that heats up the air in the tire increasing the PSI and the tube blows. For this reason many switch to disc brakes

Sorry too hear you went down bad,,, I hope your ok and your bike came out of it ok...
Crappy deal for sure...

A person can get some farely good quality tires and tubes I'm sure...

That or air down that was suggested earlier...

Im a Spungg Bob tire dude ,,, not too much air,,, and enough air in the tires too limit the chances of smashing a rim off a rock since I ride mostly off road...

Thanks for sharing,,, yes,,, a blow out at speed could put any of us down for sure,,, guess that's another reason I gear my bikes down...

40 ++ mpr seems pretty fast for me,,, same for 30 ish,,, I'm ok with my 8 too 12 mpr stuff with options of 22 too 25 max...

Just me is all...

I've been riding with limited riding gear,,, coat,,, helmet,,, gloves incase I have to bail,,, all of us know that the ground is mighty hard,,, and it happens fast,,, gravity plays a big role im sure...

Let us know what kind of tires and thicker tubes you find,,, even then its still kind of a crap shoot...

Nancy

Back