Bean Oil's Happy Time Cruiser

Here it sits ... and here! ... after it's maiden voyage; a break-in ride of about 20 miles all over town Wednesday afternoon.

Rode another 10 or so yesterday... the thing just keeps getting stronger. I love the popping 2-stroke idle. It sounds a little bigger than 48 cc's... Hee!

(I'm using a 25:1 mix (5 oz) of Motul 800 premix oil and 87 octane for the first gallon; after that I'll drop the mix to 32:1 (4 oz). This is excellent oil; it is one of the best oils available today from what the local 2-stroke pros are saying.)

Rode another 5 miles this evening and now the motor is really starting to run smooth, clean and strong! It takes some restraint not to run this motor to redline! Bwaaaaaaap! LOL. But I'd like it to last a little while...

Here's some of what went into putting this "kit" onto this coaster brake cruiser:

Custom engine mounts... this is the rear engine mount which I made after some basic machining lessons by my friend Anton...

Front engine mount... I made this one too. To be given access to this Korean version of the venerable Bridgeport mill is an incredible luxury for a project like this... I wish I could afford one of my own.

I modified the kit's rear sprocket; countersunk the bolts to clear the brake arm and then "swiss cheesed" the thing for lighter weight...

I was compelled to punch some holes into and round the sharp, square corners on the stout but cheesy chain tensioner bracket (I simply had to)... but thinking it would be mounted this side out, not in... (the adj. slot needs to be positioned one way)

Bought a better (it's a pit bike application) twist throttle and some red grips...

Put the kill switch right by the clutch...

Screwed the kit's fuel valve facing inwards, out of the way for a cleaner look...

Tried to wire the CDI box as cleanly as possible under the circumstances (circumstances being that I wanted to freaking FINALLY RIDE THE THING lol)

It all works! It's nice to ride, and so far, reliable!

And in this last pic, some removable lights if I think I might not make it home before dark...

There's a few more details I need to take care of: things like cutting off excess stud threads, using heat-shrink tubing instead of vinyl tape, etc... but I'm having too much of a good time riding it!

Thanks for stopping by to take a look.

:)~

Dude. If he made more of those mounts,he can make some money on e-bay.
No joke.

If he made more of those mounts
LOL.

I made the mounts and I knew that the proposal to make more would be made... but I would need my own mill and cannot afford that initial investment. These are one-offs, as I do not have anytime access to Anton and his shop, unfortunately.

Anyone else, though, is free to make their own and hawk them upon the internets. Again, they're simply an improvement of the stock mount.

That's going the extra mile old bean; clearly the best pics to get the info out to the members who stick with the happy time...life will be easier with these mounts and making them no big deal... HEY, can we give Bean-oil a star for his contribution?

There's some really nice well thought out modifications there alright. Those aluminium mounts are definitely the way to go and are a good solid piece of design work.

I wish I had a mill too :sigh: but at least I can do simple milling work with my lathe provided I don't get too ambitious.

Nice work. The rear sprocket looks awesome but my friend and I were concerned about the structural integrity having countersunk the holes. Any issues so far?

Thanks, everyone!

my friend and I were concerned about the structural integrity having countersunk the holes. Any issues so far?
None whatsoever. Though there's indeed slilghtly less material in the sprocket thickness (your concern) at that precise location, there's not nearly enough torque on the fasteners to effect any actual tensile strain on the sprocket's steel at those bolt holes... but there is enough fasteners' clamp load to prevent any rotational walking (or whatever) in that location.

We're not pumping 600 lb-ft through there. LOL. But your thinking, in theory, is valid.

LOL.

I made the mounts and I knew that the proposal to make more would be made... but I would need my own mill and cannot afford that initial investment. These are one-offs, as I do not have anytime access to Anton and his shop, unfortunately.

Anyone else, though, is free to make their own and hawk them upon the internets. Again, they're simply an improvement of the stock mount.

can you post some technical drawings so people with access can machine there own up.
with dimensions so can take to machine shop if possible
THANK YOU

can you post some technical drawings so people with access can machine there own up.
with dimensions so can take to machine shop if possible

Sorry, I cannot; the notes were rudimentary at best, in pencil, and unfortunately have since been accidentally defaced with used motor oil... in other words, my dog ate my homework.

All I can remember is that the rear block was 2.5 inches from motor to seat tube centerline and that the front mount was 1.5 inches from motor to down tube centerline. These meaurements became approximations, somewhat, since I had to do some hand filing in an attempt to align the front mount with the less-than-perpendicular downtube.

What I do remember is that each mount's stud center-to-center distance was 1.577 inches.

The motor's rough postioning was done orignally with safety wire and chunks of 2X4 hacked with a saw in this pic, this one and then this one.

Hope this helps.

Bean Oil said:
There's something pretty cool about motorizing a bicycle...
exactly! it's so doggone personal... :)

your motoredbike is a classic example of just how personal it gets...it's in the details...very nice mods & fixes...a perfect happy-time cruiser :cool:

Back