Beer can head gasket?

zippinaround

Local time
1:17 PM
Good idea or bad idea? I added a second bottom gasket about .35 mm . Guessing it'll blow pretty quickly

Good idea or bad idea? I added a second bottom gasket about .35 mm . Guessing it'll blow pretty quickly
Did it, works fine, cheap and didn't notice it blowing any easier than the stock gasket. Does help the compression but if your mating surfaces are too rough then you might get leaks, but that's more of a universal issue anyway.

an extra gasket at base changes your port timing a bit - may be better, worse, or unnoticeable

NAPA Auto Parts sells sheets of gaskets that you can cut out to fit any part of the engine actually you could probably gasket out entire engine with one sheet for under $10 or around $10 and it's pretty good material check it out but the beer can idea sounds pretty good, I thought so had pretty good luck with this Center safe Ultra copper high temperature RTV silicone made by Permatex it's good up to 700 degrees Fahrenheit,,,, I've used it on a number areas of an engine and it still holding up from last year so I've had very good luck with it

Well I finally fired her up with beer can gasket it blew straight away , seems my head is slightly warped in the centre so I just cut a flexoid gasket seems to work just fine but I would be worried about the head being unable to transfer heat to the cylinder.

Did that for a bit but would need to remove a lot to get it flat there's about a .5mm dip in the centre

If it is warped it is warped, unless you have a super spongy gasket nothings going to hold. You need to get it flat, like those guys sad. Once flat for the pressure these things make almost anything will work. Sheet of paper, beer can, aluminum foil, Teflon, RTV, or even nothing. I work on 4500PSI compressors that use nothing for a head gasket. Just a very flat surface.

Besides flatness, you have to pay close attention to that your fastener torque. Otherwise you will just keep warping your head.

Back