Beginner in LA Question- Preassembled bikes?

I

Indurt

Hi all,
I go to school and work full time, so I don't think I have the time or knowledge to install a bicycle engine on the bike I already own ( A Dahon Espresso). I was wondering whether any of you knew how I could obtain an assembled bike. I was thinking of purchasing one from Spooky Tooth, but I've read that two-stroke engines can break down more easily than four-stroke engines. I really need an affordable form of transportation as soon as possible, so I'd really appreciate any advice you might have. Thank you!
Beginner in Los Angeles

SpookyTooth did a good job for me, I have a Violation and am very happy with it, except that it is a single speed pedal bike. I would recommend the Qurve, having gears helps out when starting out pedaling from a stop. You will probably want to add fenders. You can get the old fashioned steel fenders for 26" bikes pretty cheap, they work good. The Partial Assembly option was what I got, it was pretty easy to put it together, all the hard stuff was done.

Qurve

Attachments

• shadow.jpg
    shadow.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 820
Hi all,
I go to school and work full time, so I don't think I have the time or knowledge to install a bicycle engine on the bike I already own ( A Dahon Espresso). I was wondering whether any of you knew how I could obtain an assembled bike. I was thinking of purchasing one from Spooky Tooth, but I've read that two-stroke engines can break down more easily than four-stroke engines. I really need an affordable form of transportation as soon as possible, so I'd really appreciate any advice you might have. Thank you!
Beginner in Los Angeles

If you aren't too mechanically inclined, you might want to go with a GEBE. The chinese happy times have a tendency to be "needy" if ya know what I mean.

Dan

he's right, yaknow.

if you don't want to revel in the sheer delight of tinkering as much as riding, you should go with something designed for low-maintenance and high-reliabilty...almost all kits that meet that involve a rear-rack, good commuter stuff. and, if you have the bucks to bang right off the bat & are in the right area and situation, go whizzer.

I started with a Staton friction drive. It took about 1/2 hour to install. If your commute isn't too long, and you're in a dry climate, it's a good option.

:cool:I second the recommendation for a STATON friction drive on your DAHON. installation is not hard. i installed one with a ROBIN 35cc engine. it is a troublefree and powerful combination. you drive straight to the gas pump to fill up $1 worth of gas, which lasts a long time.top speed is maybe 26mph. quite fast for a squirrelly bike.:eek:

the roller slips a bit if the road is wet, but you can always pedal then.

the only setback is that you won't be able to fold the bike anymore. you can "bend" it 2/3 of the way, but not completely fold it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back