Belt Drive Ebay 4 Stroke Issue

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 4613

Apparently, some if not most of the Chinese ebay 4 stroke belt drive 49/53cc kits
come with engine shafts that are stepped, 17mm and 15mm, nether tapered or straight.
If the clutch goes out, there's no easily available replacement clutch that
fits these kits. Something to think about. Comments appreciated.

I believe I may have found the solution: BGF has 15mm I.D. clutches and the
right belt trans that should fit the ebay 49/53cc 4 strokes:

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I don't know if most of them are stepped. It depends what vendor, mine unfortunately has the straight shaft which is bad because of the clutch it uses. The motor runs good but the clutch is junk. A brass piece is what the clutch bell rides on and it constantly dries up and it's a mess and partially seized onto the clutch before. The 4g and 8g are good from what I've heard and the bell is attached to the housing with ball bearings. In my opinion tapered shaft swap would be the better option, less than a new kit however the new 4g transmission runs about $130.

You raise several questions. These are all chinese belt trans equipped kits on ebay. How the
heck is one to know what you're buying on ebay, and what type of shaft the engine
has? Since the ebay sellers don't described the engines they are selling, do you know
what ebay seller is offering tapered shafts? What do you mean by 4G and 8G? What
kind of trans are you referring to and who sells them? Are you referring to Grubee
4G? Never heard of 8G.

4G is grubee. 8G is bikeberry but uses the same concept, except it has a solid cast aluminum jackshaft pulley instead of those metal rings on the final drive pulley. I had one wear through completely and aluminum shavings were everywhere. Problem with straight shaft is it is too long to use with these gearboxes possibly if it was trimmed it could work for the better transmissions but it might still stick out too much compared to tapered shaft motors. In my opinion they should only make tapered shaft 4 stroke kit motors not the other 2 types.

1618954706139.png
1618954901088.png

https://www.grubee.net/products/4g-1b-transmission-only

If I understand you, you are recommending the Grubee 4G trans and his tapered shaft
Huasheng 4 stroke motor. Great quality, but very high price when you have to
purchase the parts separately. Grubee doesn't offer a complete simple kit at a
discount, and I'm not sure who does. That's why these chinese cheap kits on ebay
using a belt drive are all over the place. And neither does bicycle-engines.com.
Like they've pulled out of the market and let the Chinese have it. The result is
low cost 2 strokes becoming popular. Price is important to be competitive. Years
ago when I started building MB, this was not a problem.

How could an ultra low cost Chinese 4 stroke ever be competitively priced with an ultra low cost Chinese 2 stroke with way fewer parts? The 2 strokes even come with a clutch and transmission, all in a narrower, lighter, less expensive, package. Seems obvious why at least inexperienced builders as well as experienced builders would consider a 2 stroke install vs a 4 stroke install.

Very reminiscent of La hover. You can take a japanese design from 1998 or a soviet design from the 1950's that the chinese made worse and call it a good motor. No more cast iron cylinder, cheaper parts and mixing oil at a gas station means carrying oil somewhere. In this thread were talking about a water pump engine that honda first made 22 years ago. It wasn't meant for a bike frame. They are like a feather compared to a 212. Just like I don't comment on 2 stroke posts anymore simply because I see the same issues over and over again. Worse for the environment as well. Some have to use their side of the bar per say. Like a guy with a harley shirt walking in and seeing a guy with a Honda shirt. If you like this communist engine platform so much try building a 4 stroke with the same basic shape and get longevity, better lubrication and no mixing oil. Plus not the annoying high pitched noise and vibration it makes especially with an expansion chamber. Some geometries change and no ports and boom a 4 stroke that fits between the pedals.

1618972598938.png

If you build a 4 stroke that small, it won't have enough power to push a bike and 200 pound rider. I know all about Honda longevity, i own a 41 year old gold wing.

So the bottom line is the current ebay chinese 49/53cc 4 strokes with belt drives are junk due
to clutch problems, only expensive Grubee 4 strokes with his 4g belt drive are
worth purchasing, leaving the market to more moderately priced 2 strokes like
the Zeda 80 triple 40 and electrics. Is that about it? Anyone disagree?

Back