Belt drive kits for the basic 80 cc two stroke

buzbikebklyn1

Local time
1:18 AM
I've been looking for belt final drive kit that can be retrofitted to the basic 80cc two stroke frame mounted kit...
I need to do away with the extra chain so I can keep my rear brake disc.
Any vendors out there market anything like that?
Tom.M -AKA- buzbikebklyn1:D

To the best of my knowledge no one offers a kit to accomplish what you want, Belt drive to the rear wheel. Jim from Creative Engineering is working on a custom toothed timing belt drivtrain for a couple of motorized Spoilers/choppers. http://home.roadrunner.com/~bikeparts/ You might contact him to see if he has anything ready for resale to the general public. You also might look at the Sick Bike Parts Shifter Kit. Its essentially a jackshaft system that mounts to the motor and transfers the drive to the right side of the bike and then to a freewheeling front crankset (included with the kit) and then the normal bike chain drives the bike from the right side. http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/

ocscully

Tom,

I've been working on it, along with a gazillion other things :D

When I first started looking at building up a Schwinn Spoiler, I wanted to retain all of the original functionality and looks of the bike.

Kawasaki asked if I could do a belt drive set-up with the Chinese in-frame 2-stroke. It was a perfect solution to a number of problems. With the disc brake there is very little room in the rear for a drive...The belt set-up is perfect.

I'm going to use an SRAM internal 3-speed hub as a transmission that will be mounted just behind the seat post. This set-up will freewheel with the engine off, so that the bike can be easily pedaled when necessary.

I couldn't find any commercially available cogs that could be used without a lot of modification, so I bought lengths of hobbed material to make my own cogs. Notice that the smallest diameter bar is a different color. It is steel for the engine cog.

Pics:

1) Shop photo
2) Cog Material, an assortment of timing belts, cog to hub adapters, and some other bits we make here at the shop.
3) Cog adapter fresh off the CNC, and a custom made Cog ready for the rear wheel.
4) Adapter and Cog mounted. Everything cleared perfect so that the rear disc brake did not have to be modified or cobbled up in any way.
5) Belt and a mock-up of the SRAM and custom bracket. I wire tied it to the frame just to get some measurements.

Jim

Attachments

• Spoiler7.jpg
    Spoiler7.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 1,788
  • Spoiler5.jpg
    Spoiler5.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 1,588
  • Spoiler6.jpg
    Spoiler6.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 1,610
  • Spoiler4.jpg
    Spoiler4.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 1,889
  • Spoiler3.jpg
    Spoiler3.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 1,777
Wow, some fantastic looking production from scratch going on there and nice shop. Oh, to have that skillset.

My partner is a bicycle mechanic with 20 years of wrenching and with experience innovating transfer hubs on custom MTBs for a clientele of racers and hard core enthusiasts.

Though using chain, the ideas are similar and offer some very interesting possibilities, chainline alteration and transfer gearing.
transhub1.JPG

Horizontal dropouts welded in place to mount the transfer hub, nice touch with the QR skewer and threaded adjusters.

transhub3.JPG

In this particular application, the final drive goes to a 14 speed Rohloff hub.
transhub2.JPG

HeYa,
What make/model is your VMC? Gawd I can't wait for the economy to pick up again so I can get back to running those for my livin'...:cool:

Cool stuff HV...I don't know that much about bicycle stuff. I assume this was done to increase ground clearance for rough terrain riding?

There is some question as to whether or not the internal hubs will handle the torque from a small engine. I have read that the Sturmey Archer, and Shimano hubs don't last. A local bike shop said that SRAM hubs were the toughest that they had used. I don't know...it's a experiment. One thing is certain: with this set-up, if a hub does fail, it's easy to swap out.

I do know that these hubs have to be set-up properly, (the shift cable adjustment), and I would assume that smooth shifts under engine power would greatly increase hub life.

UP13...The CNC is a Leadwell MCV750XL. It has a 20X30 envelope, box way, Fanuc control, 24 station tool turret, 40 Taper, RS232 data tranfer port. It is a great old machine, very accurate.

I know what ya mean...I haven't had any commercial work since mid December. Everything has just dried up!

Jim

Cool stuff HV...I don't know that much about bicycle stuff. I assume this was done to increase ground clearance for rough terrain riding?

There is some question as to whether or not the internal hubs will handle the torque from a small engine. I have read that the Sturmey Archer, and Shimano hubs don't last. A local bike shop said that SRAM hubs were the toughest that they had used. I don't know...it's a experiment. One thing is certain: with this set-up, if a hub does fail, it's easy to swap out.

I do know that these hubs have to be set-up properly, (the shift cable adjustment), and I would assume that smooth shifts under engine power would greatly increase hub life.

Hey Jim

In the case above the transfer hub was used to alter chain line to fit around the fat 3.7 endomorph tires. That particular frame already has loads of ground clearance. My bud has used geared transfer hubs to offer multi primary drive ratios choices.

As to the torque question, I don't think it will be a problem strictly speaking. A 200 lb. mountain biker off the seat and cranking (200 ft-lbs) is creating gads more torque than any small engine can muster. (Honda 50cc 40 ft-lbs).
Drive train slap might be a bigger issues but seems that would be buffered substantially with belt drive.

Know what you mean about work.A friend of mine who is an auctioneer in upstate NY has sold out 3 local machine shops in the last 6 months.

When things pick up who's left to do the work?

Steve.

Kings Sales and Service sells an adapter to allow the use of a disc and a sprocket for the chain.

Back