Belt tension and starting

chainmaker

Local time
8:10 PM
I am looking for some help here. An ax61 is too short(the wheel BARELY makes it to the drop-outs) and the ax 62 leaves a bit too much slack on the belt, it doesnt grip enough. Anyone have a trick for getting some tension, or some sort of tensioner? I cant move my motor at all it barely fits as it is. Also I cant seem to find instructions on the proper way to start her up. I have a 47 H with twist compression release. Thanks in advance.

Hi Chainmaker,

Use the AX62 and move the motor forward in the frame.

Best way is to install front belt and move motor around in the frame until front belt is tight. Next install rear belt and move wheel to the rear until tight as possible. When mving rear wheel make sur it doesn't cause the clutch pulley to move downward much. If the rea belt isn't tight enough, just loosen the top rear motor mount and push motor forward then tighten the nut to hold motor in place.

If you need more help, just contact me and I can send pictures if necessary.

Just remember to NOT try to make both belts tight in the beginning, but rather do the front belt first then the rear belt.

Open the compression release, pedal untill motor starts turning over then close the compression release.

Have fun,

Thanks Quentin,

Belts are nice and snug. Now I cant get her to fire up. I pedal or roll down a long hill, turn the compression closed, get chugga chugga chugga chugga all the way home but it wont fire. Got air , fuel bowl is full..gave it a shot of starting fluid, touched the plug wire while pedaling to check if I was getting spark...got a nice jolt. Ideas anyone?

Hi Chainmaker,

The vintage motors easily flood and foul the plug. Best to use choke to start, but get choke off ASAP.

Remove the plug, place on the head to make the base touch the head, not the wire. Put bike on stand, pedal and look to see if the spark is "hot", not just a faint arc. The correct spark plug is an Autolite #303.

Call me when you have time and I will help you get it started and running correctly.

Have fun,

I tried with choke open, 1/2 , and closed. My stand bent from the weight of the bike so I cant pedal in place. Im going to go out to get a new plug and try that. Quentin could you PM me your number.

Pulled the plug to check for spark while pushing it, got 1 weak spark. few drops of gas in the plug hole and tried pedal starting. Nothing. Im thinking some water might have found its way down the plug wire and into the coil. (We have had like a week or more of rain here. If this the problem, will it dry out while baking in the sun for a few days?

Whizzer Ignition

If moisture in the ignition is the problem, giving it a good soaking with WD-40 will usually remedy the issue on the spot. Is your ignition based on points and condenser, or are you using a module? If you're using points and condenser I'd toss them and replace with a module.

I think he is using the module. The motor was running great when it was removed from the original bike.

When I talked to Troy yesterday, he said the plug looks dry, and makes me wonder if it a fuel problem or ignition.

He can check coil with an OHM meter to make sure it is close.
Have fun,

Yeah Ive got the electronic ignition. It was good to put a voice to the words yesterday Quenton, thanks for your help. I was on my way home from work today, and I remembered I picked up one of those inline ignition spark checker at harbor freight a couple months ago. I do have spark. So now to the carb, I have the tillotson carb. Any advice or help would be great as to what I should be checking first, or do I need to order a re-build kit ?

Back