Bending an exhaust

I am in the middle of my first build. I'm having some clearance issues with the muffler and my front tire. Anyone have any suggestions on how to bend the muffler with only the use of basic tools and most people have at home.

Old trick, don't know if it'll help, if you stuff it with sand, cap the ends somehow and apply heat; it will bend smooth curves. But idk how that heating would do with chrome

If you have a rotary tool then you can angle the cylinder mating surface to let the pipe angle back

Stick your muffler in between the fork of a decent sized tree and then use a long pipe over the wide body section of the muffler to gently tweak the angle.

Not sure what kind of clearance you're looking for but on both my builds I had to "woller" out the bolt holes to turn it to clear my left pedal. This seemed simpler than bending with my limited tools and has not caused me any problems

Nm. I just reread the original post. That's what happens when you stay up all night daydreaming about mb's instead of sleeping

That's what's great about these motorized bikes: each one is a unique creation and there is no single answer as to how to solve a problem! My addition to this list: slam on a mini-muffler, lawnmower style.

Sickboy, my little lawnmower exhaust is working wonderfully. Since it is just jammed into the exhaust manifold, there's no weight so I don't have to worry about it. The bike is a little loud, sounding maybe too much like a lawnmower at cruise, so I wouldn't call it perfect. But it is very functional!

Back