Bending Exhaust. A few questions.

yuckfoo

Local time
4:40 AM
My understanding of the proper way to bend a pipe is to pack it with sand so that the pipe does not crease when bending. Can I (should I) do this with the kit exhaust which is a one piece muffler and pipe? Can I simply hose out the sand when finished? I need a very small bend in the pipe. As it is now I can get the exhaust on but the muffler sits directly against the down-tube. I cannot get even a piece of paper between the muffler and the tube.

Secondary question. Will this muffler get hot enough to melt the sticker on the down-tube if I left it as is?

GOPR2598.jpg

Actually the easiest thing to do is just put a dent in the pipe to clear the frame

Take a piece of pipe the same DIA as your frame tube. Then wack it with a hammer against the pipe where ya want the dent.
I can see it's very close and a big dent is not needed.

That slight dent shouldn't hurt performance. It's done all the time in the automotive and M/C world.

If a Member has reasons why a slight dent is a bad Idea maybe they will chime in and share with us why?

Last edited:
When ya go to put this dent in the pipe make sure the pipe sits in a cradle so ya don't flatten the other side

A cradle can be made out of wood or something

Last edited:
The sand is a bad idea I think. Not worth the risk of any sand coming back into the combustion chamber and scoring the cylinder. If heated to red with a map gas torch it will bend any way you want, just clamp it in a vice or something with Two pieces of wood. The muffler is actually some kind of catalytic chambered muffler all in one. I wouldn't put sand or water in there. Also take the pipe off and make sure you have a straight chain line before any muffler bending.

Last edited:
I could use a hickey bender to bend it enough to get it away from the frame; without putting sand in it. However that doesn't mean you could do it. I did commercial and industrial electrical work for over 30 years before retiring.

If you can't find an electrician who knows how to use a hickey bender then get some conduit and practice on it first.

I think you guys are over thinking this.
Nope, only a slight dent Post #3 is needed in yuckfooos pipe
The rest was just a discussion on pipe bending

Sure I gave a few ideas Post #2 of how to get clearance without bending the pipe.
But that's what we do here @Motoredbikes.com we give options so ya can choose a solution.

Last edited:
Yuckfoo, have you installed the drive chain and rear sprocket to make sure you have a straight chain line?

Back