Benefits of building a 20 or 24 inch wheel cruiser bike?

GW's Motorized

Local time
12:14 AM
I'm looking into possibly setting aside cash and saving money for a winter project next winter. I am wanting to build another bike, and I was considering using a smaller wheeled cruiser bike. What would be the benefits and the disadvantages of building a 24-20 inch wheeled MB?

My opinion, for a cruiser bike you need the bigger wheels for the ride and comfort. Perfect example are 10"/12"/14" wheels on scooters. 10" really sucks for ride and steering, absorbing bumps. With each increase in size it gets way better. Smaller wheels are for kids' size, low riders for being low etc..

For me, a 24 inch wheel bike fits me much better ; I can put at least one foot on the ground when I stop without having to leave the saddle. I am only 5-7 and bikes are not like motorcycle where both of your feet touch the ground. all of the speed sacrifices and "comfort" aside I am converting my Whizzer to 24 inch wheels and the new WC1 whizzer I just got is a 24 and I now know what it is like to be more comfortable at a stop and start up.

It changes the overall gear ratio a little, it's like putting on a smaller sprocket. The reason I was thinking 24s was because my legs are pretty short, so my 26 inch wheeled bike only my toes touch the ground.

Back