Best 2 stroke oil recommendation?

castor oil does oxidize quickly. I've read that if you add vitamin e, it will help in this regard.

Also, as far as I know, EVERY fully synthetic oil is manufactured using standard petroleum as a feedstock.

That being said, the oil is broken down into the basic hydrocarbon chains, then reassembled to the final molecule length.

Although it's probably possible that a synthetic oil could be produced using coal as a base, it would be much more expensive to produce.

BTW. Ref Mary's thread from a couple of months ago, on this very topic.

Last edited:
Also, as far as I know, EVERY fully synthetic oil is manufactured using standard petroleum as a feedstock.

That being said, the oil is broken down into the basic hydrocarbon chains, then reassembled to the final molecule length.

Although it's probably possible that a synthetic oil could be produced using coal as a base, it would be much more expensive to produce.
This is what I've heard... but Amsoil is pretty expensive, and this guy I know has been selling Amsoil products for years. I dunno if this is something they just told him to tell his customers, but I'll ask him for some documentation if he can provide it. It does seem pretty hard to believe that you could create it without some kinda petroleum or natural gas, tho.

Maybe Pablo could find some information for us? :D

Like most oily things you need to be careful with blanket statements. Be very careful with the wording.

There are a variety of synthetic base stocks and a wide variety of feedstock sources. I'll spare you the details, but sadly to this day it is still less expensive to synthesize even the best base stocks from petrochemicals......now it is true that some esters come from vegetable origin and make great lubricants. All this said, Amsoil has never said they are 100% free from petroleum feedstocks (does NOT mean they have refined petroleum in most of their oils). For example some of the 4 stroke oils are PAO based, PAO is synthesized (chemically and uniformly made into longer carbon chains) from ethylene gas. Which a very short (2) hydrocarbon that is a product of oil refining or from NG wells. Some silly people misinterpret this to mean that PAO based oils are just refined petroleum oil.

If you are really interested in the subject there is ton of info on the web.

Last edited:
Well... my friend and I will have a discussion featuring "truthiness" next time we meet at Waffle House or IHOP. Mmm...

He was prolly just trying to sell me some oil. =^/

I'm running Red Line full synthetic racing oil in my R460. I buy it at Cycle World. Just about no smoke at 25:1. I personally try to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible. DINO ROCKS!!!!

2 cycle oil

I have been an amsoil dealer for 30 yrs. use it in everything I own.In reguards to Saber 2cycle I break in all my bikes befor I sell them using Saber 100:1, I start a 20:1for first tank 2nd tank @32:1.When I sell a bike I send a quart of oil with the buyer. And recomend they move up to 40:1 on next tank then 50:1 after that.I run my own bike @ 80:1 over 2000 miles on it runs great. Amsoil say the oil remains wet after combustion which allows for leaner mix ratios.

Back