Best 49cc engine to buy and from who, Plz

mogogear

Local time
12:33 AM
Ok...48cc motor

Noob here and I hope I do not set off sparks by asking this question: Which engine and where is the best place to buy??

I am headed towards buying a HT engine kit for my bike transformation to Motored! I have read evaluations of various vendors. The variety from Gasbike seems to be wide and their rating decent. Mostly. So yes, chain driven and 2 stroke for me, for no at least...

So I see Grebe( China- perceieved as not so quality) and all sorts of Raw / Ghost, etc , etc. Balck Horse etc . Some black ( mostly cosmetic AFAIK) some not, slant heads ( for mostly clearance issues AFAIK)

1. Is there a better place to buy from? If so why?

2. Is there one of the 49cc engine or kits that is, for reasons I may or may not yet fully grasped, that I should consider first?

I want the kit that comes with the most dependable engine, click and hold clutch handle, best series carb, throttle with inegrated kill switch, etc that I have seem listed.

I do know that I still may and will want to upgrade components at a later time.

I am mechanically able, have a shop and understand that oney buys quality. But to a NOOB, many things may be equal in these little engine kits and some may not. I would rather save my money for needed extras and not waste it on "names"...

Be kind, and let the rock throwing commence!:rolleyes:

Kidding, a little- seems a good buch here so far. I just cant get a handle on is there a "nw "series of a certain engine thatI should buy or avoid...

Last edited:
The ? your asking is like asking what's the best oil to use. Everyone will answer different. Only suggestion I have is thatsdax.com has an upgraded HT motor that people like. Check it out and be informed. Check out ebay, bikeberry, pirate, bicycle-engines, livefastmotors, gasbike etc.

darwin

So true, and I hated to ask it at all. I have visited most of those sites. It just seemed like 3 different engines called 19 different names. It all just started running together. So thank you for the short list to go check out- I was dissuaded by some lack of consistent ratings here in the engine section

Bikeberry-
6 out of 7 of their offering were out of stock-- their mirage of engines seemed ....(cns carb??everyone else has NT or RT carbs...) not too impressed with their offerings or information / details.

thatsdax- The F80 69cc Us made engine seems very good - I hope that US made translates in to Better- but it seems like a fair price if the include some modest upgrades. He claims that the head and case bolts are all upgraded - that would be nice for sure ( I would still loctite them all in per the excellent tips provided)

Bicycle-engines- I like their Phantom 58cc engine looks promising- out of stock though- but I am in no crazy hurry. The inclusion of 2 rear sprockets and some other extras also seems a good value. Comparable price to DAX. QUESTION: whats up with their push button clutch / brake lever thing--seems either the greatest thing since sliced bread- or too complicated!! Liked that they claim a 6 month warranty....

Livefast-
- most of the interesting options are out of stock- but these look like the more generic "typical" kits.

Iwill re-read the sellers reviews but would narrow my question to : Does anybody have a strong opinion between the DAX F80 and the Phantom??

Last edited:
Well I shall start by asking y a 49cc.especially if you r allready planning on upgrading.u might as well go with a 66.
any how you are correct in assuming they are almost the same but you will notice the difference in workmanship and the difference in each motor even from the same place just the way it is so really how long the motor last and how well it runs is entirely up to the person building it and then the person getting it out of the box taking the boats out of it putting good ones in not tithing and sealing it up correctly putting it on correctly monitoring everything basically what I'm saying is it has to be tight and right and you have to be on top of it but if you're asking motors been good for me I like the Flying Horse from bike berry.oh and definitely get the expansion chamber mix your oil right during break in and you'll be good

HT means Happy Times, a low budget 2-stroke engine kit known for problems.
All 2-stroke engines are not HT's.

I like YD engines, YD is for the Yaun Dong engine factory and they are sold through China Gas.
They go by names like Skyhawk, Flying Horse, and Starfire.

The YD factory makes some darn fine engines, and the bases of the YD Skyhawk is what DAX uses as a base for their upgrades.

Just to help you with other terminology, your topic is a '49cc build'.

There are 48cc and 66cc 2-stroke engines, there is NO SUCH THING AS AN 80cc.
The common 4-stroke engine is 49cc (or 50cc for the Honda version) and of course bigger in varying cc's, but not as kits, but by making the topic a 49cc most people will think 4-stroke.

The 48 and 66cc are almost identical, the 66 just has a bigger cylinder and piston.
A stock 48cc puts out ~2HP, a 66cc puts out ~2.75HP.
66's are common, 48's are harder to find and more expensive, but the most legal in the US.

Both can be upgraded.
For example a good expansion chamber exhaust on a 48 will make it about as powerful as a stock 66.

Hope that helps.

KC-- a thoughtful reply. Like everyone else here- which is greatly appreciated.

Yep I saw that I had mistyped the subject after I posted. Of course I couldn't edit the subject line- just the body of the post--My bad- unless you know something I don't.......

Exteremely helpful on the YD explanation. I will be going with a 66cc per suggestions and I do live in a town with a few hills. Though not a big guy ( 5'8" / 165) just getting around more easily versus real speed is my goal.

I do have the moeny to buy a better engine- that was my goal was to avoid the probelematic engines and buy the better version!! I am getting closer to my goal with each reply.

Thanks again for taking the time to help!! Cheers

66cc looks just like a 48cc and no one will know the difference. More cc = better results normally. A few will argue with that, make up your own mind. I bought a 150cc over a 125cc scooter specifically because of the better performance.

Dude u got a little bit of what you were saying. But bye that I mean very litte .if ur statement was true. (Wich its not ).my advice to u is do some actual reacerh..but just to explain it in a simple way if you were to take a coffee straw the ones you used to stir and take a regular straw put water in your mouth and squirt the water out of your mouth through the straw which one would shoot the water furthera bigger cylinder is always going to equal more power as long as something is not wrong with it that's why a big V8 and a sport car would be much faster than a 4 cylinder in the same sport caryes there are many variables and you can upgrade bothbut if you think the 250 motorcycle would go as fast as a 650 CBR you are sadly mistaken if someone is bigger and stronger than you and can bench press moreit's because they have the biggest cylinderI'm trying to make this simple for you more engine equals more poweryes there are many ways gear ratios and whatnot but for the most part is 66 is going to be faster than a 48 your cubic centimeters of fuel igniting are putting more fuel and more fuel equals a hotter fire hotter fire big explosion bigger explosion more power more power more speed I hope this helps and if you can't understand that please look it up I don't know where you heard that but you were miss informed greatly

Are you addressing me as dude Gator?

Dude u got a little bit of what you were saying.
But bye that I mean very litte .

Apparantly.

if ur statement was true. (Wich its not ).my advice to u is do some actual reacerh..

I am kind of scratching my head with the point but it seems to be the bigger the engine the more powerful it always is against something smaller.

I don't know where you heard that but you were miss informed greatly

That would be true if every one of these 2-stroke engines were designed and produced to their maximum performance ability.

They aren't even close, they are made as cheap as possible just to the point of functioning.
In short any of these cheap 2-stroke can be made to produce way more power than you get out of the box.

My point was, given a 48cc combustion chamber legal size, you can make it super efficient and it will kick the crap out of any stock Chinese 66 and still be legal, if you have money.

me thinks Gator was addressing Darwin's comments, "66cc looks just like a 48cc and no one will know the difference. More cc = better results normally. A few will argue with that, make up your own mind. I bought a 150cc over a 125cc scooter specifically because of the better performance"

......but I could also be mistaken ;>)

Back