Best (Affordable) 2-Stroke

Jason A

Local time
4:26 AM
Hey guys,
Wasn't sure whether this topic belonged in general discussion or builds, but I think this is right.

I'm looking into starting my first build, a 2 stroke on a mountain bike. I'm definitely leaning towards a 66cc, but I'm only 130 lbs, lol, so a 49cc would probably be plenty.
I've done lots of research, and have come to the conclusion that most of the kits look identical to me.
Do you guys have a favorite (sub $250) kit? And what is your preferred site/store for parts or kits?
I live in Ontario, Canada.
Thanks for all the great advice thus far, keep it comin'!

If the price difference between the 49cc and 66cc is not much then always go for the bigger motor. You can always slow down but the added power also reduced the need to mod the 49cc heavily in case it isn't enough power for you.

There is always eBay. Kits there are between 100 to 120. Not sure about the comparison to these shops though. I got my 2-stroke 66cc from eBay ($110) and it was fine.

I also got a black 66cc kit off ebay for about $116. Seems to be ok but I think the next I buy will be GasBike's cheapest kit the silver slant for $120. Gasbike's customer service through eBay is great.

Are these Canadian prices? The cheapest I've seen is $180 CAD.Shipping from the States to Canada isn't really worth it, because a $120 USD kit from the States end up costing more like $240 CAD by the time you convert the money and pay shipping and duty.
Thanks so much for all the advice, though!‎

Jason these guys will sell you a kit $199 Cdn to your front door:
http://www.motorizedbicycle.ca/bicycle-engine-kits.html
I bought from them, very happy with speed of delivery and quality of kit.
Follow up orders have been equally quick and pleasant.

Understand that the 66cc is technically NOT legal on the road in most of Canada.
Speeds over over 50kph (which the stock 66cc can do), especially if your not pedaling, will bring Johny Law down on your head.

All the kits LOOK identical but are not, so buy from a supplier who will be there with replacement parts that fit.
I have a Grubee GT2A 48cc engine that has more power than an unknown 66cc I have.
Side covers on the unknown 66cc will not interchange with my Grubee 66cc GT5A.
Buy from a reputable supplier.

Steve

12524085_10153785028430803_198040820913516546_n.jpg

Thanks Steve,
I might just go with those guys.
Yeah, I'm almost entirely going to be riding on private property or deserted country roads where I've seen no more than 3 cops in the last 8 years. I might occasionally take it to the edge of town, but not often, and I'll keep my speeds in check/motor off.
So (getting off topic a bit, but that's fine,) are 49cc motors for sure street legal? I never found a straight answer.

Back