Best affordable bike lock?

ismellnownlatters

Local time
6:04 AM
Caught some sob trying to steal my bike from Walmart. He is lucky I've mellowed with age. But please tell me what lock to use

Those are excellent times for a taser... er... yeah.

The problem with bike locks are... the better they are... the heavier they are. If you have a place to store it while riding, the solid steel ones rate the best from what I've seen (non-cable)... but man they are bulky...

...and man they get spendy!

A buck fifty for a lock?!? That's worth more than my China Doll engine!

:D

Or how about this "beast" at nearly $230!!

Yeah... I'm no help here... ;)

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Caught some sob trying to steal my bike from Walmart. He is lucky I've mellowed with age. But please tell me what lock to use
This URL link below is a good place to start your search...lol.

This URL link below is a good place to start your search...lol.

Its not though is it! Every lock on there is a kryptonite, looks a bit fishy to say the least

I use an Onguard U-lock, supposed to be really hard steel. If you get one get the longer and wider version. Gives you more options to lock it to different size poles or signs/racks. The narrow shorter ones really limit what you can lock it to. I use a cable too, combination. Those just keep folks from walking off with your bike though. Bolt cutters cut through those like butter.

My Ulock is combination too, no key.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I got what I think is a decent lock at Wal-Mart. The brand is onguard. It's a 6 foot by 12mm cable. Package says it is a 3 out of 5 security rating. It's a big lock. I think it will deter most would be thieves.

I hate thief's. I recall every item taken from me. Imagine a world full of honest people! That would be heaven
As recently as the 1980s, you could leave your door unlocked, forget your wallet in a restaurant and things like that without having to worry in most of northern and central Europe.
It's a VERY different story now.
As for bike locks, I am currently using a chain + padlock type thing I got for about $ 20 from Shanghai Fleight (formerly known as Harbor Freight).
The store I go to now has not just 1 'security' guard, but 2, btw.
It's heavy, but works well and is long enough to wrap around even those lamp posts that have concrete around the bottom 4 feet or so as well as small trees, although I don't like to use those as parking spots.
If you secure the padlock part to only 1 end of the chain, it also makes a pretty formidable emergency weapon.

Its not though is it! Every lock on there is a kryptonite, looks a bit fishy to say the least
I might be a little partial on these...You see, I am originally a "Masshole" from Boston...Kryptonite is a Massachusetts company and I have to say, in many years of riding bicycles and motorised bikes, I have never lost a bike using their locks...lol.

Ps...When I was a cop, I never even heard of a bike stolen that had a kryptonite lock on it...lol.

I too use a Kryptonite lock and have a kevlar sleaved cable lock. I do suggest at least a 15mm or better in both types of locks. Other complementary items to consider is trackers, cell phone notifiers, and alarms.

Back