Best Belt Drive gearbox

Tommy9345

Hello,

Just joined the forum. New owner of a MB with a 49cc 4stroke kit. Pleasure to be a part of the community

After a weekend of installing and tuning everything, upon the first ride the stock single chain box completely blew up on me.

Im on the hunt for a reasonably priced Belt drive. The 4g looks great but for $150+ Im wondering if there are other more cost effective transmissions floating around.

Any help with the search is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

- Tom

CrazyDan

The 4g is the one you will want, any of the cheaper ones will be a knockoff 4g with inferior quality, or the double chain transfer case.

Tommy9345

The 4g is the one you will want, any of the cheaper ones will be a knockoff 4g with inferior quality, or the double chain transfer case.
How is the double chain case? Is it significantly better than the single or not worth it ? I appreciate the help

gary55

I'm with Dan. For these engines the 4G belt drive is the way to go. I'm not 100% sure but I think your engine has to be the taper shaft version to accept it.

zean

The 4G belt drive is adequate. If you wanted to spend double the money of a 4G I'd suggest EZM's Q-Matic. It uses a go kart clutch and you can really feel the difference in the way in locks up compared to a bicycle or weed-eater type clutch. The Q-matic is extremely tough. There was a rich youngster working at my last job. He drove Ducati, large diesel pick-up and BMW sports car, a good worker and a team player, I over heard him say,"...if you want the good sh-t, you have to pay for it."

CrazyDan

The 4g can be used with staton-inc's heavy duty clutch, it's a game changer for the tapered shaft engines and comparable to a max-torque or better clutch go-kart clutch IMO. Not many are willing to fork out an extra $50 for a clutch, but this might change minds: I have been using the same hd clutch 2 1/2 years daily driving, and more recently, track racing. Still looks brand new , no dust in the clutch area.

zean

Quite some time ago I believe David Staton told me that he has never heard of his heavy duty clutch having to be replaced. I had forgotten about that. Thank you.

The_Aleman

The Q-Matic is perhaps the finest flat-land-cruising transmission you can buy, it's so smooth due to it's belt-underdriven clutch. Riding a bike with one on a well-paved street makes you feel like you're on a 2-wheeled locomotive. If you're geared for an easy 30 cruise tho, it's gonna be absolutely lousy on hills.

Staton's transmissions are heavy-duty beasts that will likely outlive your engine, possibly even yourself. Like the Q-Matic, if they need to be serviced, it's easy to do so, many of the parts are available at a hardware store. There's no chinese potmetal in these things, no waiting for the slow boat for parts.

At $150, you can't do better than a 4G. They are in between Q-Matic and a Staton on smoothness, and if you have the tapered-shaft version, they require perhaps the least amount of maintenance of any transmission. Just a light application of dieletric grease on the belt to keep it supple. They have better power transfer over a Q-matic, which makes them superior on hills with same gear ratio. Can be shift-kitted relatively easy if you're into maintenance and big hillclimbing. A Staton-Inc clutch on tapered 4G is def a nice upgrade.

Old Busted Hotness

Another vote for the 4G. It'll haul me and my heavy-ass bike up a 6% grade, cruise at 30mph and has proven to be totally reliable. The dual-chain gearbox is a waste of time. When it's not stretching its chain it's breaking input shafts. Pure garbage.