Best chain tensioner.

I currently have a 36 tooth sprocket. When it's been adjusted semi well it doesn't seem to run the seat stay, but always comes a bit loose after a week or two.
Oh dear, well you cant practically have a smaller than 36T sprocket on a 700c wheel or you'll never get up hills lol. I would not try to engineer my way out by moving the sprocket closer to the spokes with a home made rag joint either.. its actually probably safer to deliberately and carefully dent the tube, or use a different frame. You can look at using a narrower chain, bmx / single speed chain but you might need to grind BOTH sprockets narrower to fit it. It's another challenge, plus there's enough used bikes around lol.

Yes, if you can lower the whole engine that will work wonders. Lifting the front wont help, though.

I'm actually very happy with he 36tooth, Accel is a bit slow pulling away, but I just give it a pedal boost.
At w.o.t it's great though.

My other option would be to get a new pedal chain (mountain bike length one, I currently have a single speed) and then using a derailer like in your pic just as a chain tensioner (set position, not moveable) then I think I could get the chain perfectly aligned and taught.
I do wanna get a new frame, was looking at an Electra cruiser but wasn't sure if it would just bolt straight on without needing new mounting kits etc.

Have you ever used or known anyone to use one of these ones. It looks like it's a good mix of the standard type that came with the kit and the spring type. The picture looks like the roller will sit in the right sort of place along the chain stay.

Denting the tube could.make it better, but I'm worried I'll mess it up and be getting on the bus to go to work lol.

A new roller only will fix it for the time being, but I'd like to fix and forget really...

I have tended away from the complicated routes. Lol. If the cruiser is an option I would advise that.

You can try removing a washer from the right hand side of the rear axle and adding it to the left if that still allows the rhs freewheel and chain to clear (but your whole wheel is now off centre and needs redishing) or just adding a washer to the left and flexing the stays out to get the wheel to fit back in. The second option of course makes half the difference and needs a pretty thick washer.. and there's a definite limit to frame flexing.. but then you're not really supposed to put a dent into your frame lol. Most options are a PITA versus getting a cruiser or anything with better clearance. But you should see if you can get the engine lower. No universal mounts.

I think all the tensioner kits available are garbage, really.

When I did a road bike frame I got the seat stay hot with a torch and bent it outward with a hammer. This threw the back traingle out of alignment so I had to stand on the rear with different blocks under it until I had a straight back wheel all the way into the dropouts. When I got it straight I then welded gusset plates to the top and bottom.

IMG_20191106_203432943.jpg

Just wondering if you’re using the rag joint set up aren’t those sprockets beveled maybe flipping it around . I’m not sure but worth a shot or getting the three bolt sprocket adaptor where you can slide in or out another idea.hope this helps

Just wondering if you’re using the rag joint set up aren’t those sprockets beveled maybe flipping it around . I’m not sure but worth a shot or getting the three bolt sprocket adaptor where you can slide in or out another idea.hope this helps
It's the machined adapter. I forgot to mention that I moved the other side over to the right bring it together Also.

I used an ofset low rider sprocket for the inside of the pedal right side drive to account for the ten speed offset back to there coaster hub.

I kind a had some what problem I’m not to tell my situation . Beside all that I’ve been running the bmx drive side chain since 2012 it does fit the drive sprockets very good. If you do try it I really make sure the back sprocket has no wobble other wise it will pop off. I’ve learned to not to use tensioner for chain alignment just the tension. Just a reminder. Be safe.

Back