Best converter for 142f motor

When it comes to Huashengs, there are 2 types: "5/8 shaft" and "tapered shaft". It cannot be both.

If your engine's output shaft is several inches long with a keyway, it's a "5/8 shaft". Picture attached, clutch on the right.

58 Clutch.jpg

But if your engine takes a clutch like this, with no keyway, it's a "tapered shaft" engine:

Tapered Clutch.jpg

Just have to clear that up before you can be helped finding a decent transmission. The transmissions are not interchangeable.

When it comes to Huashengs, there are 2 types: "5/8 shaft" and "tapered shaft". It cannot be both.

If your engine's output shaft is several inches long with a keyway, it's a "5/8 shaft". Picture attached, clutch on the right.

View attachment 86660

But if your engine takes a clutch like this, with no keyway, it's a "tapered shaft" engine:

View attachment 86661

Just have to clear that up before you can be helped finding a decent transmission. The transmissions are not interchangeable.
I have the tapered shaft like the clutch on the bottom picture

Okay, so you have a few choices:

Grubee 4G with a choice of 80T or 100T. However, this seller is out of the 100T as of this writing. If you started with a basic 4-stroke kit, you probably had the crappy chain-drive transmission (aka "5G") that came with it. An 80T 4G will be a big improvement over that.

Dax VR1 Belt Drive. I've never used one of these and can't attest to how good it is. I've never heard anyone complain about it, tho. Also would be an improvement over the original chain drive box. Has a 4.25:1 reduction.

You could locate a 4G from a different seller, just make sure it's for your tapered-shaft engine. All you have to decide is how much reduction you want. That will depend on your rear sprocket (and whether you want to change it or not) and how slow or fast you usually go. More reduction favors off-the-line-accel, wind and hillclimbing. Less reduction favors flat ground and higher cruising speed.

The 100t belt drive is awesome!

Top speed suffers a bit, but it still pulls ~27mph with tons of TQ and super smooth. I'll never go back to a chain drive on any of the 49ccs I build now.

This one was built for a customer but was my Wifes favorite since she could touch the floor easily, its was comfortable, and was easy to ride without the clutch. She doesn't like the 2strokes lol.

I run a 100T as well, been on the same belt since 2011. I had to replace a broken clutch bell and pulley bearing once, mine takes the same bearing as a cg crank! My HS PTO shaft was also modified for bearing conversion, doesn't take Oilite bushings anymore.

Bought my HS49 and 4G individually non-kit from Bicycle-Engines.com

I'm looking at the q qmatic pace setter but its pricey
Okay, so you have a few choices:

Grubee 4G with a choice of 80T or 100T. However, this seller is out of the 100T as of this writing. If you started with a basic 4-stroke kit, you probably had the crappy chain-drive transmission (aka "5G") that came with it. An 80T 4G will be a big improvement over that.

Dax VR1 Belt Drive. I've never used one of these and can't attest to how good it is. I've never heard anyone complain about it, tho. Also would be an improvement over the original chain drive box. Has a 4.25:1 reduction.

You could locate a 4G from a different seller, just make sure it's for your tapered-shaft engine. All you have to decide is how much reduction you want. That will depend on your rear sprocket (and whether you want to change it or not) and how slow or fast you usually go. More reduction favors off-the-line-accel, wind and hillclimbing. Less reduction favors flat ground and higher cruising speed.
That is the same kit I have it came with the belt drive,granite I have over 1500 miles on it but I expected more then that. The qmatic pacesetter is what i want but it is pricey 100 bucks more then the kit itself

I run a 100T as well, been on the same belt since 2011. I had to replace a broken clutch bell and pulley bearing once, mine takes the same bearing as a cg crank! My HS PTO shaft was also modified for bearing conversion, doesn't take Oilite bushings anymore.

Bought my HS49 and 4G individually non-kit from Bicycle-Engines.com
I'm going to bite the bullet and go w/qmatic

What's wrong with your 4G? 1500 miles is nothing to a 4G, they can easily go over 10K miles. There isn't much on them that can break, and what does break is pretty easily fixed. The belt lasts an absurdly long time if taken care of.

Q-Matic is pretty much the only upgrade over a 4G. My brother has one of the earliest Q-Matics and I think it's perhaps the best cruising system around. It's lousy for hills IMHO, but there is nothing smoother on the flats.

Back