best exhaust wrap for protecting legs from burns

Where could I bring this to have it done professionally if I wanted to? Why kind of places do this? The bending. Or the welding I guess.

isn't there L adapters (two gaskets needed) or flexible exhaust piping (have to mount muffler) for cases like this?

isn't there L adapters (two gaskets needed) or flexible exhaust piping (have to mount muffler) for cases like this?
There is on both accounts. I think the poster wants the easiest and probably cheapest solution though...

Where could I bring this to have it done professionally if I wanted to? Why kind of places do this? The bending. Or the welding I guess.
Any ring ding muffler shop should be able to handle that without an issue, if they can't they need to be shut down for false advertising. Do I recommend one? Of course not, unless you like paying too much for a small job.

My suggestion is go to a small engine shop, the mom and pop kind, if they service lawn mowers then it's a good chance the guy will know how to weld, and he will probably be an old timer with lots of exclusive experience. Chances are he will think your bike is cool and will appreciate you bringing it to him to be worked on. Probably could cut, shift, weld, and clean up all in a matter of 10 minutes and then give you a FAIR price on his work. Not only that he'll know a thing or 2 about 4 strokes and may be able to help you in the future.

You'll still want to wrap the pipe regardless, it's too close to the happy area and one of those spots on the bike that are hard to avoid touching with legs.

Wouldn't hurt to take the muffler and photo to the local cars parts store and ask their opinion also. there might be a chance its an ez piece for it. motorcycle shop too but they are at an even higher premium than car parts store.

Will this work to wrap it? Also, should I use two layers and a can in between to try to make it more heat resistant? Thoughts? This was all my auto parts store had.

Attachments

• tmp_15199-IMG_20170201_14244238779858.jpg
    tmp_15199-IMG_20170201_14244238779858.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 253
  • tmp_15199-IMG_20170201_142452205022071.jpg
    tmp_15199-IMG_20170201_142452205022071.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 234
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
u know, i just went on ebay and ordered it, it will be here before the sprockets i need for this thing to run anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252416570989?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

i figure 100ft is plenty, then even if i decide to have the pipe bent/welded i have enough to re wrap it even if the original wrap got crappy
Maybe it will work! Never know! Get some regular old fabric later and wrap it up over that stuff after it bakes in and see if it resists it. I'm thinking blue denim lol... Or black, even old leather belt just split the hide, lap it over.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
what about strips of aluminum can? i figure aluminum will last longer than fabric. my next issue is just mounting a screw on lawnmower muffler to 1" flex tubing, any advice? i was thinking quiksteel-ing a coupler to the tubing and screwing the muffler onto it. try for something like this but not so restrictive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122325025743?item=122325025743&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

my only thought is what kind of flex tubing is that?

2" tape is going to be too wide for bends, 1" would be better.
As for welding I have a couple places around me, catch them at lunch time and you can get a bargain at least I did.

Back