Best Kit - Questions / Answers

koalaski125

Local time
6:18 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm thinking about buying a bicycle motor kit. They sell on Amazon, but the reviews for them are hit and miss. I would ideally like to buy a kit, install it, and have it last a few years.

Yet, all of these "Amazon kits" are made in China.... Chinese products can be reliable but they usually are not. I would buy one of these Chinese kits (there are many different ones though) selling on Amazon knowing the reliability is at best "50/50" , if the return policy were impeccable, which isn't the case from reviews I've been reading.

I know that in general, as far as reliability is concerned, Japanese engines like Honda and Toyota are usually the best as far as it goes. I did a few searches on this site for engine kits hoping to find Honda engine kits after seeing pictures of peoples' Honda motored bicycles. I searched online and didn't find Honda bicycle engine kits.

So, it seems that people with Honda motors powering their bicycle have a similar set-up to what you will see on the kits selling on Amazon -- except of course their bike has a Honda engine on it. I'm thinking that I could buy a cheap / Chinese kit on Amazon or Ebay as well as a separate Honda engine but then just use the Honda engine instead of the kit's engine. If there are better (and cheaper) routes to building a reliable gas powered bicycle, your input, experience, and / or opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

you would just have to fabricate a motor mount for it and get the drivetrain sprockets to line up correctly depends on your skill knowledge and access to the proper tools to do so its definitly possible

Honda doesn't recommend using their engines for mb's haha. they don't want to be associated with this niche.

for cheapness get what we call a China Girl engine if you want 2 stroke power, or a Honda clone 4 stroke (better yet). don't get a kit, the hardware and components are worse than the engines in the kits. you'll upgrade everything in the first year! so get your engine from a reliable supplier like BicycleMotorWorks or couple others, and pick your components and bolts to install from wherever you like to shop.
that way you Choose what you want and have some control over the quality of stuff.
yeah 50/50 whether you get a good CG or not. I did on my first shot, no running or tuning issues since day 1 BUT the bare engine + tank is the only thing left from the kit I still have on the bike

Amazon is not the go to place for kits. You can do better on ebay or the actual vendor sites that are mentioned on these forums. Shop around and read posts to make up your mind. A lot of experience on this site. I don't know what the hell has happened to Amazon but it is not the best deal around anymore. You need to shop 3/4/5 sites before you get a good idea what a good price is. I still buy from Amazon but only after looking elsewhere, include shipping in your decision.

Back