best Mechanics tool kit?

ihavetubes

Local time
2:39 PM
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You probably don't even have to pay that much for a set to work on your bike. A set of wrenches ( 10-19mm), a set of sockets in the same increments. A good set of screw drivers and you're good to service your bike.

If you want to be a crazy serial build, then you'll need more. Plus and impact driver.

You probably don't even have to pay that much for a set to work on your bike. A set of wrenches ( 10-19mm), a set of sockets in the same increments. A good set of screw drivers and you're good to service your bike.

If you want to be a crazy serial build, then you'll need more. Plus and impact driver.
Don't forget the fits all, clip wrench, crescent wrench and adjustable spanner.

You can get tools for cheap.
The quality is poor and they often break.
If you want to spend $300 get a few essential tools from a quality manufacturer rather than a giant set of cheap tools of which you only need a handful of.
Park Tools makes quality bicycle specific tools.
As far as automotive/mechanical tools goes everyone has their own opinion.
Some professional brands that are worth looking into are Matco and Snap On.
They are expensive, you can pay $300 for one of their tools.
You can find medium quality and price point tools at Home Depot and Lowe’s that have a better guarantee than what you get at Harbor Freight.
I’m not saying Harbor Freight is horrible but the quality of their tools is certainly not the best.

Just get the metric socket and wrench rails, a 3/8 ratchet, a torque wrench, the orange and black handle screw drivers, and the set if metric T handle allen wrenches. That would be more than enough to work on a CG

If you're not concerned with shiney tools in a matched set look in pawn shops for great prices. Funny thing............after having my Predator engine in and out of my frame 20 times, I just now realized I might have an issue getting my spark plug out. Getting the plug out is no problem, but I could not get the socket over the plug due to insuficient clearance to the top tube. I found a 13/16 box end wrench at a pawn shop that will work just fine after I either remove the metal air deflector around the fins or cut a window into the top of it.

I bought a Harbor Freight 400-ish piece tool set in 2002 (22 years ago) and I still have most of it. This was back when people made fun of HF tools and would "never trust them." This was also before they offered any sort of warranty. I bought it because I needed cheap but comprehensive tool set, so I figured why not. At worst they will break.

The missing pieces of that tool set aren't missing because they broke. They were just lost to time and people borrowing them.

Should they have broken? Absolutely. I abused the hell out of those tools. The ratchets saw a lot of 3-5lb deadblow strikes. I used the regular sockets with an impact more than a few times, and also did many other things one should no do with tools. I did these things because they were cheap tools and I didn't care.

I still have a lot of them, even though I have since bought better tools. That HF set is now my "DGAF" portable tool set that I take out of my home to the junkyard or for roadside stuff.

Don't let tool snobs tell you what is good and what isn't. I have Snap on and Proto tools that I have had break whilst using them the "right way."

That doesn't mean higher end tools aren't better, because they are. Usually in how they fit fasteners and function in general is a bit better, but for the average person in their garage working on basic projects? It's all you need.

Now that I have said all that.

You don't need a huge tool set for a 2 stroke bike engine. Basic metric socket set, a matching ratchet, a metric combination wrench set, an inch pound torque wrench, metric Allen wrench set, some wire cutters and crimpers, and a screwdriver set. Handy tools, but not extremely necessary - Impact driver and a bit set with a large flat head bit or it (I use this one https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70013-8...6693&sprefix=impact+driver+bi,aps,544&sr=8-42 ).

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
IDK why these sets come and go. Years ago I could always get Stanley or Husky sets that included all the standard metric and deep socket sizes, but then they sorta disappeared and now I just shop around. I like a set with a good organizing case though, had some good ones over the years but have lost them all somehow until my most recent. IDK even what brand it is, but it works for now. Has only 3/8 drive though which is odd to me. I don't like it as well as some past sets.

I remember I had a Craftsman set a long time ago that seemed great cuz of the wide selection of anything you could ever need working on your car, but the plastic case was so s**tty that if you weren't super careful it would dump and leave you sorting and putting away hard to read "acid etched" numbers on the sides to get everything in the right place for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes EVERY damn time!. You'd think such a little issue wouldn't be such a downer, but I do not miss that set, despite how nice it was that it covered EVERYTHING and no parts ever broke.

The set I have now is same way, stuff doesn't "snap in" just sits there. Luckily it's a lot less pieces, and they are engraved and easy to read, and for some reason I have never spilled it yet. One thing I hate about shopping online, you don't get to see for sure what you're getting.

I do miss my $45 "Stanley Black Chrome mechanic's set. It had most stuff covered and a great "snap in retention case" you would have to throw that box for stuff to come out, was almost too hard to extract the little stuff. Oddly I just searched for that set, found a lot of Stanley sets, most a lot more expensive (that was years ago) but none quite like what I got 10 years back. I liked it so well I had to Gorilla tape the back seam of the case together before I parted ways with it...

Yeah If you're on a budget, and look hard, you can still get a decent, covers almost anything set for under $75.

Back