Best mods for a 2008 Whizzer

Well, You are off to a good start by asking questions on this forum. It can save you alot of headaches. The answer to all those questions is yes! LOL! I can only say where I've gone wrong in the past with my bikes and builds. Performance was a big issue for me with my stock '99 Whizzer. I did the most common upgrades to that one and now I have a stock looking bike with power. It's very rideable and fun. Then I wanted to build one with my ego all over it. That was a mistake on my budget. I really didn't know where I was going with this bike. I was just having a blast playing with it. Now I have a bike with too much bling on it to race and too much power not to. Next time, I would have to ask myself what do I want to wind up with when I'm done. That should make the project easyer to define. If you make it go fast, I would start with brakes that can handle it. The '08 has discs front and rear if I remember correctly. That's a good thing right there.
You are going to be having some fun. I can tell. Ride safe and enjoy,
Jim

My 2008 Whizzer does not have have Disc Brakes and I think they only came on the Whizzer Ambassador.
I was told that my 2008 Whizzer has the NE5 Motor and has 202 miles on it and runs great.
Just want to make my Whizzer Reliable!
Thanks,David

Hi David,
Congrats on your bike! I think the first order of business would be to look over all of the Whizzer stickies posted atop this section real good and make the appropriate modifications as required, of which there will be enough. Funny you mention you have a 2008 model; so do I, but it's the NER Whizzer with the CVT transmission and the block head motor. I haven't had her on the road as I have other projects on-line at the time.............but soon enough she will be rolling!

Besides getting intimate with the Whizzer Stickies on this site, another recommendation I can give would be to subscribe to the Whizzer Newsletter that is published monthly. Quenton Guenther writes up an informative column every month on the new model Whizzers and those columns alone are worth their weight in gold with the great technical information they provide.

As far as your questions go, again, the stickies above answer all of your questions, but for starters this is what I accomplished on my NER (with future mods pending): Removed head and sent off to Quenton, who milled the head for better cylinder sealing and a little more compression........factory mushroom lifters were removed and new Quenton mushroom lifters installed (the original mushroom lifters are simply not up to the task and will fail early in the motors life........new copper head gasket and modified cylinder head bolts installed........ You may expect at a minimum to have these mods done on your motor too. And then there is the crankcase vent system which is in need of a little work. Again, refer to the Quenton mod. He has spent a lot of time trying to engineer a system that prevents the oil from being blown out of the crankcase vent system and it seems he has found the cure for that one.

Wheels: I have read where a lot of NE5 guys went to an American made Worksman bicycle wheel which is a stronger wheel. Again, my NER, a different animal then your NE5, has a little bigger wheel to accomodate the 3 inch wide tires. Speaking of tires, the Schwalbe Fat Frank tires may be a good choice to consider. I believe they are German made and the reviews for them have been positive........

Clutch: Again, I refer you to the Whizzer Stickies. I know there were issues with bearings, so you want to do that research and go from there. Again, my NER has the CVT, a whole different design, so I am not familiar with the Whizzer Clutch system and it's idiosyncracies!

I think you are on the right track with your questions! It's a question of making the basic package dead-on reliable and bullet proof so it doesn't leave you stranded on the side of the road. Looking forward to reading of your progress!

Take Care,
Mike

On my almost stocker I have a drum brake in the front. It works very well but squeaks loudly. I changed my coaster brake, in the rear (it locked up) to a band brake. It works fairly well with the auto clutch on the bike. Does your bike have drum brakes or what?
Debbie at Whizzer USA. said, they have a drum brake that bolts right up to the wheel after you take the band brake off. She only has a few and I am broke right now. I'm going to get one soon. The bike could use more stopping power.
I would like to put 24" wheels on it so my wife can ride with me. She can't touch the ground and the seat is as low as it will go. I surely don't want her on the hot rod. She can touch the ground on that one and wants to ride it. I can never seem to get it started when that happens. Something must be wrong with the kill switch?
The word on the street is, some of those Whizzer parts are getting tough to find. The whole Whizzer situation makes me sad. It would be so cool if they could make a come back like Harley Davidson. We need to get Warren Buffet to ride one and then he would buy one.
Made in America, 120 MPG, one time license fee. Seems like they would be a big seller in this economy.
If wishes where horses, beggers would ride!

Mike nailed it for you! Quenton has my auto clutch as I type. He built the motor for my hot rod Whizzer too and a bunch of other stuff.
He's the man in my book! I owned a few fast motorcycles when I was younger but this hot rod Whizzer just keeps making power until you run out of road. I still don't know exactly how fast it will go and that makes it scary. I love it!

I sure hope Quenton will chime in and give his advise on the best mods on my 2008 NE5 Whizzer.
Do I need to do anything to the motor and auto clutch?

You can take it to the bank. He will eventually and you will know exactly what's up with your bike. He is a busy man. I don't know how he keeps up with it all but he seems to do it with no problem. I don't know how far you can go with the auto clutch but eventually the bearing sleve will need to be replaced. Then it will be rock solid Quenton has many posts on here on how to upgrade the NE. The good news is, it doesn't cost that much for all the difference it makes and it's fairly easy to do. I would only use Quentons parts. We have some history together and I am spoiled with his stuff. That is not to say there are other excellet builders out there. there are but Quenton has got me sold. Cam it up, put in some mushroom lifters, retard the timing one tooth, adjust the lifters and you have a whole new kinda bike. Wear a helmet and have a blast!

You can take it to the bank. He will eventually and you will know exactly what's up with your bike. He is a busy man. I don't know how he keeps up with it all but he seems to do it with no problem. I don't know how far you can go with the auto clutch but eventually the bearing sleve will need to be replaced. Then it will be rock solid Quenton has many posts on here on how to upgrade the NE. The good news is, it doesn't cost that much for all the difference it makes and it's fairly easy to do. I would only use Quentons parts. We have some history together and I am spoiled with his stuff. That is not to say there are other excellet builders out there. there are but Quenton has got me sold. Cam it up, put in some mushroom lifters, retard the timing one tooth, adjust the lifters and you have a whole new kinda bike. Wear a helmet and have a blast!
Thanks for all the great information!

You can also Private Message Quenton but like I said, he has already posted what your looking for on here somewhere. I've read it but I don't remember where. It must be in the Whizzer forum. I think if you just drill down there you will find it.
The stock bike you have is all choked up at both ends to make it legal in the states. You got to get in there and let that sucker breath!.
Quento has a nice flow thru muffler insert for the pipe. That opens up the exhaust and keeps the noise level down. The one from the factory is a choker. He ported my intake with a spacer and tapered it all to create a ram induction effect and put a 26mm carb on it.

Back