Best Motor For Long Distance Trip?

"engine" "drive-train" "bicycle"

hehe...it took some of us 4 years to learn all this, but now you have the advantage of reading all about it...

consider this: far as know, there isn't a stock bicycle out there that will take a lickin' and keep on tickin'...in this motorsport you literally can go find a frame you like, old or new, then make sure it's strong enuff & will accept your drive choice...and then shop wheels/brakes, lighting, etc...so much of this is based on your particular needs and style...it's always easier (for me) to answer questions like this when it's about a specific item instead of multiple-choice. go find that frame or other part, and i will happily give you my thoughts on it's merits or flaws, but only if i have direct experience with it. never you fear, tho...you will get plenty of personal input from the group as your research advances.

what about the bikes themselves? what do you guys suggest? not to simply ask you to "vote", i just want some insight from people who have done what i am trying to do. it's part of research, ya know?

No straight handlebars, no ribbed grips (use gel or foam), biggest pedals you can find, wide saddle, shock absorber seat post.

The $325-350-Sun's I use, (with the half fenders), are about the cheapest ways to get the most features. They are 7 speeds, which is good enough for loaded down touring.

Just one more thing on your chosen engine size. You should try to find a way to bring down/re-direct the exhaust noise, reduce the decibels, before hitting the road.

It might seem okay for 100 mile loops, but you'll at least need foam earplugs to keep up a month long adventure.

I'd take my HT time with a sbp shifter kit across country if I had the time or inclination. Trouble is finding a HT that doesn't vibrate much. I'm fortunuate that 2 of my 3 current rides are very smooth and don't make my hands no numb.

The old saying, " you get what you pay for, " is entirely true with my experience. Buying a $125 engine kit & putting it on a $60 WallyWorld bike isn't going to cut it for reliability, & long rides. You will eventually be buying 3 bikes & 3 motors ! MY opinion !
If you spend $500 for a kit, get a good quality bike to put it on.

What did you say?? ive been running my 5.8 morini tuned to 6.3 i beleive and noiseee!!

and what pray tell puts the morini over 6HP ?

noiseee ! compared to what ?

i've been running my GP460 for a couple seasons on an exspansion chamber and or the stock muffler and no-one even seems to see or hear me, i don't mind the sound at all.

steve

Back