Best Motored Bike for a Novice???

ggardner

Local time
2:04 AM
Hi Everyone,

Please forgive my elementary questions. I am brand new to the world of motorized bikes.

I am looking to buy one (not build one) for my 15 mile commute to work each day (I am sick of paying $900 for a parking pass and getting only 25 miles per gallon of gas). I would like something that can travel at ~35 mph, is easy to use (no mixing of oil and gas, etc.), requires as little maintenance as possible and has easily available replacement parts. I am willing to pay more for higher quality.

I am scared by all of the talk about bikes coming from Taiwan/China. Should I be? What brands should I be looking at? Is there a website that lists the different manufacturers and provides reviews of their products?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
george

hi

I bought a brand new fiore, mounted my thatsdax 70 to it ran 1000 miles on it that the frame broke where the screw holds the engine to the bike! Yes it does matter! Find an old steel framed bike 26" is best with strong spokes...I think the older the bike the stronger it is! Good luck George! Happy motoring!

PS...buy a whizzer...i seen one used on ebay for about 900 bucks they are about 2000.00 bucks new in sacramento california

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: hi

Thanks Quay.

I hear that Whizzers are now made in Taiwan. Is that true? Have they dropped in quality since the switch?

george

In the bike industry today just about everything is made in either Taiwan or China. The exception is the Handmade Bicycle where framesets alone start at $1200.00 and Complete bikes double that cost and you haven't even bought the engine kit yet. Whizzers aren't considered motorized bikes in most states. They require registration and insurance in most states as well. But if their cost isn't an obstacle for you its pretty hard to beat them for over all quality no matter where they are made.

ocscully

Or, get a rack mount drive, and you don't have to worry about weakening the frame.

Staton and GEBE both offer rack mount kits with high quality engines. Honda, Robbins-Suburu (both 4 stroke) or Mitsubishi, and Tanaka (2-stroke) are all of high quality.

I've got a Staton friction drive with a Mitsubishi TLE-43 2cycle engine - it pushes me along at 25mph+ when the cops aren't around. Faster drive rollers are available, but then, I'm an ex-defensive tackle who weighs over 300 pounds, and that's a lot of mass to be traveling over 30 mph on a bicycle!

The advantage of a friction drive is that it is hands down, the easiest to install. It does wear the tires more than a chain or belt drive, but, I've been trying to get the rear tire that came with the bike worn down enough to justify swapping to a new kevlar belted street tire (already bought, and on the shelf...) It's been more than a year, and the original tire's still there, with some tread yet. Probably by summer.

The GEBE Belt and Staton chain drives each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Both are very reliable, especially since they come with good quality engines. Both get very good mileage. But, it's my impression that each requires a different approach when driving. The Staton chain drive is rugged, and you can jump on and immediately open the throttle wide, and the bike will respond. But, the chain is noisier than a belt. The GEBE however, responds best to a more gentle takeoffs, but, it's quieter and needs less maintenence than a chain drive.

One point. Since you want to use the bike for commuting, you might want to consider a little less speed. Many states are going to the 48cc/20mph limit for motorized bikes. Exceeding these limits (or being framed for exceeding the limits!) CAN be very costly. Just ask Torques...

Last edited:
Your commute and speed requirements dictates another option such as aa larger size scooter (Honda 150 or my favorite a Honda 250 Helix or equivalent clone) or a small 250cc motorcycle.

Your commute and speed requirements dictates another option such as aa larger size scooter (Honda 150 or my favorite a Honda 250 Helix or equivalent clone) or a small 250cc motorcycle.

I agree. You're definitely looking for a small displacement scooter or moped (if you don't have a motorcycle license.) 50cc scooters and mopeds can easily do 30mph with the stock parts and a restricted motor. They can still be parked just about anywhere without the need for a whole car parking spot and in my state they cost only $3 to register for the year. If you're looking for average speeds over 25mph and as little maintenance as possible go for a honda scooter. You won't be disappointed.

My suggestion would be a GEBE engine kit with a two stroke...

Why?

because if you keep the measuring container for the fuel and carry spare its no difference from using a straight petrol unit...

but the kicker with the 2-stroke is the tuned pipe :D

My advice is a GEBE two stroke with the 32cc engine which will give you 29-32 mph depending on weight and bike set up.

Then and this is the fun part - get hold of a boost bottle and tuned pipe which will give you the extra performance that should make 35mph more than possible...

If a cyclemotor is looked after and properly maintained they are at least as capable as a moped with the advantage that most mopeds are less than useless when the engine/transmission are out of action...

Good luck with whatever you decide..

Jemma xx

if you're looking for reliability, you will find it in the rack mounted engines. The HT 2 strokes are fun but are certainly not reliable without a signifigant amount of maintenance, and even then, you feel like you never know when it might just explode (at least... 10-20% of the fun i think? :p). On the other hand, in terms of drilling the frame at least, it is relatively simple to fabricate a u bolted plate that you can use as a motor mount instead of weakening the frame by drilling it.

I have found that the weakest part of the kits is the spoke/sprocket attachment. There are other options available in the aftermarket sector, or you can even just bolt the sprocket to a disk brake hub, although it can rip itself out in my experience :(. Any kit that resolves the power transfer problem effectively s a winner in my book.

good luck

I agree with a couple of posts above. Demanding 35mph , 30 mile per day commute,, you really need something MORE than a " bicycle with a motor." There are very good scooters out there, some made in Taiwan [ Taiwan makes some of the best bicycles, too ] that will better serve your purpose.

Back