Best performance spark plug?

Vikingimike01

Local time
1:58 AM
Hello forum!

I'm looking for a spark plug upgrade. I need the best one for torque. I currently have an Z8C (Not sure, "LD" I think)
I heard people saying BP6HS, or B6HS, or even BPR6HIX.

Wich would be the best for a torque upgrade, maybe a bit top speed too (But mainly torque)

I mainly drive half aggressive. But if I can I'm going as fast as the bike can (Not often. Only on very straight long roads, also 4 stroking past 3/4 throttle ) Ride times would be 20-35 minutes long. I live 452 - 475 feet (138 - 145 meters) over sea level. Average temperature is 35C in summer, -5C - 10C in winter.

Last edited:
B6hs or B7hs. I'm running a B5hs which is shorter. Torque isn't directly related to spark. That's more of a gear ratio thing. Gap it too for better performance. i'd go for .028 thousandths. Seems like you need to tune your carb.Torque would be better with a 44 tooth or a 50 something.

I do have a 44 tooth. I'm currently doing 45km/h but rich.

So the BPR6HIX is not better than the B6HS ?
In any way?

I do have a 44 tooth. I'm currently doing 45km/h but rich.

So the BPR6HIX is not better than the B6HS ?
In any way?
Iridium plugs (IX) are resistant to pitting (from being hit by the spark) which means they don't suffer from a build-up of carbon anywhere near as quickly, due to the smoothness of the electrode/s not giving the carbon crud anything easy to stick to. Not sure if both electrodes are iridium plated or just the ground.
Plated plugs should not be gapped. Leave the gap as it comes. You don't want to crack the plating.

Projected tip plugs (P) can help to make the ignition site more central in the combustion chamber, on deeper heads where this is a benefit.

Heat range 6 is hot, good in winter and on short trips or stop-n-start riding.
Heat range 7 is good for general use.
Heat range 8 is cooler, good for hot climates and extended periods of freeway riding.
The above is a very general guide and depends on the head you use and your local climate etc!

I use a NGK BPR6HIX in my MZ "R" head which has a deep combustion chamber shape. I stop the engine frequently as I ride the cycle paths and like to pass other cyclists and dog walkers politely.

High torque combustion chambers, I read, are deeper and narrower.
High compression, I read, is the best thing for increasing torque at the lower rpm but loses some at the top rpm.
Shallower more dish shaped combustion chambers are better for high rpm, I read, and a slightly lower (but still high) compression is better for high rpm.

I don't have the resources to try multiple heads to find out, so I can't verify this. I only took the advice I read, with appropriate pinches of salt lol.

Last edited:
Alright. Seems like I'll get the NGK BPR7HIX plug.
Thanks for your reply. That was very informative. Things I didn't know about.

Can anyone else confirm that I'm making a great choice with the "BPR7HIX" ?
I don't mind price if it's quality.

Alright. Seems like I'll get the NGK BPR7HIX plug.
Thanks for your reply. That was very informative. Things I didn't know about.

Can anyone else confirm that I'm making a great choice with the "BPR7HIX" ?
I don't mind price if it's quality.
Wich would be the best for a torque upgrade, maybe a bit top speed too (But mainly torque)
Spark plugs do not increase torque or speed. There is no magic about plugs.

Are you using the stock angle plug head? Do you know what the "P" signifies?
Read the info in www.ngk.com to be informed.

Last edited:
MBR nailed it.

The most important considerations for choosing a plug are the heat range, and projection length. Even in my expensive high compression race car motors I run standard copper NGK plugs in the proper heat range and just change them when I need to.

As he said, they are not a power mod or anything like that...the difference with more expensive plugs are they will usually last longer (IE, iridium tip) or resist fouling better. Don't fall for gimmicks like multiple tips, magical super conducting electrodes, etc. If you ride a ton and want something that will last longer than stock, go with an iridium. Personally, you can get 3-4 standard plugs for the same price and it likely won't last 4 times longer on these dirty little engines so I would save the few bucks and just run a standard NGK B6HS and keep a spare handy but to each his own :).

I am riding a lot. This is why I need to chose carefully.

I do have the stock slant head. Everything is stock.

And I understand that plugs do not give more torque. Someone alredy told me.

So is the NGK BPR7HIX a good choice for the slant head?

Or would the NGK BR7HIX be better?

Last edited:
Back