Best plastic gas tank

M

Member 28982

It is impossible to tighten a gas tank down so it wont move.
About to metal gas tanks with those metal threads and each one has vibrated a hole in the gas tank.
What is the best plastic gas tank that I could buy I'm not going to buy another metal gas tank and throw another $20 down the hole and get a messed up peacock that doesn't even work that if you tighten down too much also breaks....
Need something that can handle the vibration.

Junk yard and look through their lawn mower section for a good one gallon plastic gas tank with the fuel gauge like this one:

I had 3 metal tanks welded and all went to s**te :D

I don't like the look or the cheap mounting on the kit gas tanks so I decided I'd just make my own.

Attachments

• 20190216_080427.jpg
    20190216_080427.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 20190216_080505.jpg
    20190216_080505.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 325
if you can make a shroud or cover and are good at non-standard mounting things, go with a dirtbike (or enduro for more gas) or scooter tank (smaller)

I use this stuff, I buy it locally from a auto parts store. Around $5. I use this along the bottom of the gas tank, fairly thick layer.

I then let it set up a little, so it's still alittle soft then bolt it onto the frame. It does not slide around at all, and the first time you remove it after you'll see how well it holds. It's not glued on but very secure, and it still works great for further use.

My 2 tanks I've used this on have been very solid and have never shifted once secured.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Oh I also use a steel epoxy, or a jb weld to beef up the 4 tank bolts. Sand down the area at the base of the bolts and thicken up the post.

If you do decide to try goop, use the black stuff, not the clear. I looked it up, I pay $10 a tube at Canadian Tire actually. But I use it on a few things on the bike.

Attachments

• 2019-02-16 09.14.27.jpg
    2019-02-16 09.14.27.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
I just finished fabricating a new tank for my bike. It's my first attempt at ever making a gas tank. After making the first one I would definately do it differently. So I'm sure I'll make another one soon. Now all I have left is to seal the inside and make the outside nice and puuurdy.

Here's one I got off eBay. I'm replacing the 96 oz see through tank with a 160 oz see through tank.
OEM AYP Fuel Tank Assembly # 532184900 Fits Husqvarna Craftsman

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back