Best way to transfer grocery's by bike?

I've had up to 200 lbs in mine.

20230105_121058~2.jpg
FILE0008.JPG
20210704_205050.jpg

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
As said before all I have is bike to get food and run errands. What is the best way to haul a week of groceries
On the bike is the best way. It can be tough to walk the bike with all them groceries. I guess if they were all in baskets or a back pack it wouldn't be to bad. Still being on the bike during transport is the best way to go. Preferably over the seat and riding in a normal fashion. Less chance to lose or damage your groceries if you are on point.

Model AST2 Allen Sports Steel 2-Child Bicycle Trailer. Does NOT have any gaps around the rear of the floor allowing small/thin things to fall out or stick out and jamb your wheels, has an easy to set water stopping and securely attaching rain fly/cover rig, sturdy steel wheels, holds an unexpectedly huge cart load of bagged groceries, does not get weird even at far over it's 100lb. rated load, I've had no floor issues with them, they have a convenient vertical access from the rear to the behind/under the seat area and even the stock tires & tubes do the job well and have a long life. I've used 2 of them as grocery haulers over the last 12 or so years with no problems except wishing I hadn't sold the first one and wasted time money & effort screwing with inferior trailers for so long before getting another AST2. There are somewhat better trailers from $$$$ brands but also much less useful trailers from those same $$$$ brands, I enthusiastically endorse this Allen model's grocery getter performance and appreciate the relatively low purchase cost. They seem to be less commonly available now and the price has jumped from more than a decade ago but the value and performance are still there, I had to look around a little bit a couple years ago when seeking my current one but that and the big price jump may have been a Covid shortage thing.

Don't forget about a nice front basket. Carry a lot of stuff in it. I've found that bicycle baskets are weight limited a lot. Putting a 12 pack and 2 2ltr cokes in 1 basket can cause issues with the mountings bending/breaking, had it happen. Of course other goodies were in the basket also. That's when I went to a front and rear basket to distribute the weight more evenly.
459BD3F9-3E6A-4C02-8626D7A8CBA30A5A.jpg

Don't forget about a nice front basket. Carry a lot of stuff in it. I've found that bicycle baskets are weight limited a lot. Putting a 12 pack and 2 2ltr cokes in 1 basket can cause issues with the mountings bending/breaking, had it happen. Of course other goodies were in the basket also. That's when I went to a front and rear basket to distribute the weight more evenly.
459BD3F9-3E6A-4C02-8626D7A8CBA30A5A.jpg

Now days you can get about $400 in groceries in that basket.

Back