Jackshaft Better than Jackshafting?

I love all internal 3-speed hubs for shifters, that SX-RX3 3-speed internal disc hub is what I am using for 4-stroke dual disc shifters now.
Not needed if you don't have a frame with rear disc mount, a band brake hub like a Nexus is less money and works well if you don't, but I have found they all work well, better than any external shifter (derailleur) for two reasons...

You are forced to use skinny chain that is never straight unless it's on the middle sprocket of the sprocket cluster.
And you to be moving the chain to shift gears.

On an internal you can use a nice HD 410 single speed chain that is always aligned, and you can shift to any gear sitting still.

The police would throw you in jail for that setup in Australia, and then give you water boarding torture, and throw you in a cell with a person of the same gender, who takes fancy to a person of the same gender.
Well, I don't suppose that would be much fun. Unless of course, the individual with this setup happens to be a gay Australian motorized bike enthusiast.

snif sniff. woe is me. i bought a bicycle with an engine. sniff. i thought it was like a motorbike and it didnt need to be pedalled, ever.

oh woe, oh lament! why didnt i just buy a motorcycle if i didnt want to pedal a BLEEDING BICYCLE!?!?!?

seriously, is it me or is the world getting stupider?

its motor ASSIST, not "COMPLETE AND SOLE SOURCE OF POWER"
Ok, granted, motorized bikes started out with the idea of "motor assist". However, we've all seen Home Improvement and heard Tim Allen grunting for more power. Moreover, we're all familiar with the nature of man from the time we walked with our knuckles dragging across the ground. So therefore WE ALSO KNOW that as motorized biking evolved, the need for "complete and sole source of power" evolved with it.

"snif sniff. woe is me. i bought a bicycle with an engine. sniff. i thought it was like a motorbike and it didnt need to be pedalled, ever.

oh woe, oh lament! why didnt i just buy a motorcycle if i didnt want to pedal a BLEEDING BICYCLE!?!?!?

seriously, is it me or is the world getting stupider?"

Don't be so hard on youself!

I love all internal 3-speed hubs for shifters, that SX-RX3 3-speed internal disc hub is what I am using for 4-stroke dual disc shifters now.
Not needed if you don't have a frame with rear disc mount, a band brake hub like a Nexus is less money and works well if you don't, but I have found they all work well, better than any external shifter (derailleur) for two reasons...

You are forced to use skinny chain that is never straight unless it's on the middle sprocket of the sprocket cluster.
And you to be moving the chain to shift gears.

On an internal you can use a nice HD 410 single speed chain that is always aligned, and you can shift to any gear sitting still.

What gauge spokes do you use with this? I mean is it possible to drill out the holes and use a heavier gauge spoke, say 11 or 12 gauge with the sturmey archer hubs?

What gauge spokes do you use with this? I mean is it possible to drill out the holes and use a heavier gauge spoke, say 11 or 12 gauge with the sturmey archer hubs?
I've drilled out spoke holes in the hub flanges, spoke holes in the rims, and valve stem holes all on the same wheelset. do what you gotta do to make it work.

my ride (55cc Grubee) didn't need gears. It had everything done to it though (most notably my torque pipe). Even living at 8000 ft it had good take-off power and good top speed.

Looks like 12'a would fit the hub, 13's certainly.

I am liking this.

GT2-10G-53-Almost14.jpg

It has a nice flow of power.

Did you say that was a 415 chain to the rear hub? I am also courious if an 11 gage spoke would fit in it. Has anyone ever attempeted to build one with 11 gage spokes?

Last edited:
Back