Jackshaft Better than Jackshafting?

Okay, better idea. Stay with me now. Taking back my thread.
Mount a sprocket on the left side of the wheel but mount it to the axle, not the spinning wheel as is commonly done, but the axle -
like the sprocket on the other side.
Now, you need a freewheeling pedal but that's no problem as those are available. Would this not work?
Wouldn't it work with internal gearing (but not derailler gearing). Am I not genius?
No, sorry, you are closer to moron than genius but that is a subjective opinion.

Wheel Axles do not spin, hence the nuts that secure them to the frame, the wheel spins on bearings around the fixed axle.
I think it would really REALLY help you if you understand how things actually work before suggesting improvements, that is kind of the basis of everything ya know?

We are all in support of anything new and improved, just not so much from someone that doesn't even know how bicycle wheels work to begin with.

Really dude, use google or just go look at any bicycle and understand it first.
Or don't, you do provide a great deal of entertainment with your posts for reasons I suppose are far above your head anyway ;-}

No, sorry, you are closer to moron than genius but that is a subjective opinion.

Wheel Axles do not spin, hence the nuts that secure them to the frame, the wheel spins on bearings around the fixed axle.
I think it would really REALLY help you if you understand how things actually work before suggesting improvements, that is kind of the basis of everything ya know?

We are all in support of anything new and improved, just not so much from someone that doesn't even know how bicycle wheels work to begin with.

Really dude, use google or just go look at any bicycle and understand it first.
Or don't, you do provide a great deal of entertainment with your posts for reasons I suppose are far above your head anyway ;-}

Seriously? Ok I get it, I goofed but I'm on to something. I'm no moron, and I'm actually quite handy. What gets me is that for my effort the best you can do is call me names for 2 paragraphs. That's real helpful. You feel better about yourself now? I'm done with this forum. Go jackshaft yourself.

Don't confuse wheel size with rim size.
Wheel size includes the tire.
For example the the 24x3" Kenda tires stand 26" tall but use a 24" rim because the tires are so tall.
I don't know about kendas in particular but tire size on a bicycle is meant to include the tire. for example a 20 inch rim is something like 16 inches. the general rule is measured size minus 4 inches will get you the actual rim size. for example a 26 inch rim will be 22 inches, a 24 inch rim will be 20, and a 20 will be 16. so on and so forth. don't know if you can apply the same rules to modern weirdos like 650b (supposedly 27.5 inches) or 700c (supposedly 29)

Seriously? Ok I get it, I goofed but I'm on to something. I'm no moron, and I'm actually quite handy.
I am sure you are a very clever guy, and sorry about the moron comment, I was answering your 'Am I genius?' question about spinning the axle to spin the wheel on a bicycle.

Actually most adult tricycles spin one axle side to spin the wheel as there is no other way, just not bicycle wheels.

Again, you are trying to put a gear shift on the left side of a wheel, and everything bicycle is right side drive.
If you insist on running a chain to each side of the wheel and have gears you need to put the gearing somewhere in between as there simply is no hub that will take a drive input on both sides.

Considering 2-stroke kit engines are designed specifically to line up with a sprocket mounted to the back left wheel, trying to put something in between requires 2 sprockets and your gearing, one of them will not be lined up.

Now I have heard you can use a fixie 3-speed hub and run it backwards.
The problem is, how are you going to start the engine?
This is the same problem people wanting a centrifugal clutch on their 2-stroke.
How ya gonna start it?

There is an easy way to have a shifting motorized bike, heck I have built 44 of them and about all do now.
http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=All&Drive=Yes

This won't work for a 2-stroke it has it's clutch and gear reduction inside the engine fixed left output, but opposed to literally redesigning the wheel, I redesigned the output for a 4-stroke build as there is no clutch or gear reduction inside, which means something has to bolt on the engine to do that, so I just made the output on the right where the chain and gears are.

2_GT2-10G-53-DoneR-1280.jpg

GT2-10G-53-DoneRR.jpg

Genius?
Call it what you want, it works with just 2 chains like a 2-stroke direct drive, but only uses one chain to the wheel and you can use the wheels gearing.

That has a 3-speed internal shift and disc brake.

My point is, use the bikes drive train to start with and get what you want for a bike, then find a way to add assist to it's system, it already works!
The SBP ShiftKit does this for 2-stroke engines and it works.

Though some die hard direct drive fan would miss the fun of rag joint mounts, the dreaded 'tensioner', and trying to keep the wheel aligned with two chains tight at the same time will miss 2 chains to the back wheel, nobody else does, especially when you get a flat and have to pull the wheel and put it back on.

Nano... Again my apologies for a belittling word, and I am trying to help, help you understand that a path to a shifter from a direct drive left side drive is a fools errand tried and talked about for years. It really couldn't be a cheaper or better alternative to what is available now so maybe it might be time for a new idea?
This dead horse idea has been beaten so long it has already decomposed.

Last edited:
If u are willing to have single speed pedal power and rim brakes you can use a dual drive hub adaptor on an igh with a left side drive freewheel for pedals. And an IGH on the right for engine power, yes it still has to be a different engine than the typical frame mount grubee/Skyhawk. But KC has the right stuff designed on his 10g 5:1 belt reduction. A 5:1 pocket bike trans reverses rotation, so flipping any 78mm clutched engine is an option "CY460R is my favorite". Using either a center mount plate or rack mount will do the same thing, but where would u like you CG to be? I like mine low so it corners well ;)

People started with rag joints on 120 year old MBC's! its time to reinvent the wheel IMHO!

KC has the right stuff designed on his 10g 5:1 belt reduction. A 5:1 pocket bike trans reverses rotation, so flipping any 78mm clutched engine is an option "CY460R is my favorite". Using either a center mount plate or rack mount will do the same thing, but where would u like you CG to be? I like mine low so it corners well ;)

People started with rag joints on 120 year old MBC's! its time to reinvent the wheel IMHO!
Thanks for the Kudos Chevy.

If you want to talk re-inviting the wheel start with Strumey-Archer in California, that is where they are made and perhaps they will gamble with making a right AND left side powered shifting drive.
They laughed at me when I proposed the idea unless I could sell thousands a year however.

For now I'll just stick with what I can buy and make, and for me anyway this system rocks.

GT2redBuild3-1280.jpg

I am liking the SA 5-speed, the cable for shifting is inside the chainstays and not out the end of the axle like the Nexus or other SA's, heck you have to look hard to even spot the shifter cable on the bike, handy for stealth shifting ;-}

Your welcome KC. I really do like the sbp shift kit, and I will have a sturmy 3 or 5 speed for disc eventually, i have big ambitions and a small wallet lol.

But I have a dual drive hub from an ezip trail z that will allow me to use the rear cassette for right side engine power and the left for single speed pedal power. I'll get her all figured out. I may want to try your 5:1 belt reduction instead of the reverse rotation pb transmission, its got to be of better quality. What center mount plate do u suggest that I get for a 460? Its going into a motobecane 500HT 17"/18" frame

Back