Jackshaft Better than Jackshafting?

Or you could just kiss 2-stroke hassles good-bye and use a 4-stoke/transfer case combo that drops the output right above the freewheel pedal chain rings to use the pedal side gears.

29Genisis10G53Rrear-1280.jpg

That's a 53cc 4-stroke with a 7-speed that does over 45mph too, and it's a pull start, automatic clutch, regular gas burning breeze to ride.

In short there are systems available, I know, I develop them ;-}

This is EXACTLY what I had in mind. I'd like to get more info if possible.
Thanks!

Or you could just kiss 2-stroke hassles good-bye and use a 4-stoke/transfer case combo that drops the output right above the freewheel pedal chain rings to use the pedal side gears.

29Genisis10G53Rrear-1280.jpg

That's a 53cc 4-stroke with a 7-speed that does over 45mph too, and it's a pull start, automatic clutch, regular gas burning breeze to ride.

In short there are systems available, I know, I develop them ;-}
I have a 5.5 HP Honda motor was going to get a jackasses kit for it at sick bikes. They say I need a transmission set up to use it. I don't understand why I see direct drive rear mount motors and 2 strokes without a trans why do I need to put one on? Go cart don't have them Baja's don't have them doesn't make sense. They said for gear reduction well isn't the kit already accomplishing that ? seems like it to me. I suggested a 51 tooth on the motor crank side with a 10 tooth crank sprocket on motor they said it would work. 350.00 dollars.crazy right. What would you suggest?

One thing to consider is that the 2 stroke has a built in 4:1 or 5:1 reduction in the clutch housing. That is why you don't need an added gear reduction box but the 4 strokes do not have such an items which is why they typically require an additional gear reduction box.

One thing to consider is that the 2 stroke has a built in 4:1 or 5:1 reduction in the clutch housing.
That is why you don't need an added gear reduction box but the 4 strokes do not have such an items which is why they typically require an additional gear reduction box.
Gear reduction, and the transfer case also has the clutch in it.
There is a 4G for the Honda, I think bicycle-engines.com has them.

I have a 5.5 HP Honda motor was going to get a jackasses kit for it at sick bikes. They say I need a transmission set up to use it. I don't understand why I see direct drive rear mount motors and 2 strokes without a trans why do I need to put one on? Go cart don't have them Baja's don't have them doesn't make sense. They said for gear reduction well isn't the kit already accomplishing that ? seems like it to me. I suggested a 51 tooth on the motor crank side with a 10 tooth crank sprocket on motor they said it would work. 350.00 dollars.crazy right. What would you suggest?

take a look hopefully this gives you some ideas. i believe this is the 79cc 3.5HP Predator Harbor Freight motor. No transmission needed of course but the guy has planned out all the gearing.

take a look hopefully this gives you some ideas.
i believe this is the 79cc 3.5HP Predator Harbor Freight motor.
No transmission needed of course but the guy has planned out all the gearing.
Is it just me, or has the ignorance of 2-stroke engine people dealing with 4-stroke engines just running rampant or what!?

Of course you need a transfer case (transmission) on a 4-stroke...

Here's a 79cc HF with a Q-matic transfer case.

2_79cc2-DoneL-1280.jpg

Heck, I'm happy with 50cc 4-stroke direct drives, but they sill need a transfer case.

2_4SddPanteraL.jpg

A typical bicycle 2-stroke engine has a cable friction clutch and gear reduction built in.
A 4-stroke has nothing, the output shaft is the crank shaft and always spins at the engines RPM whenever it is running for crying out loud!

Be it a manufactured transfer case with gear reduction and clutch, or something you make yourself to do the same thing, one thing is for sure...
You best be running next to your 'direct connect' 4-stroke when you start it and be prepared to kill the engine at every stop if you want to bypass a clutch ;-}

Is it just me, or has the ignorance of 2-stroke engine people dealing with 4-stroke engines just running rampant or what!?

Of course you need a transfer case (transmission) on a 4-stroke...

I was speaking about jack shaft not direct drive.

I was speaking about jack shaft not direct drive.
The need for a transfer case on a 4-stroke has nothing to do with it being jackshafted to be a shifter or not.

Maybe we just have have our terms mixed up...

This is 4-stroke shifter with a SBP shift kit and a 4G.

2_4Sshift12-R1280.jpg

2_4Sshift12-L1280.jpg

You need all the parts that do their thing to make it all work.

Sure you can make your own but you can't just chose to leave out things like gear reduction or clutch and expect it actually function, heck I've taken 4-stroke shifters a step further by extending the actual 4G transfer output shaft clear over to the right hand side to make 4-stroke shifters bypassing the whole need for a jackshaft.

2_RedGT2doneL.jpg

2_RedGT2doneR.jpg

Only a 53cc HS 144F-1G 4-stroke engine, but it kicks butt on direct drive 66's with it's 5-speed internal SA hub, yet it will stop when you need it to with with dual disc brakes.

That is the basics with a 4-stroke, it's not that hard, cars are 4-stroke engines and have no internal clutch and gear reduction either, it just seems that there is an endless stream of new 2-stroke converts that don't understand the difference.

Back