Safety Beware the fenders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this L bracket talking about?

It is the L shaped piece of sheet metal that is riveted or bolted to the fender and attaches the fender to either the top of the fork for the front fender or to the seat stay brake brace for the rear fender. Hope that helps. Maybe someone can post a pic?

My solution to the problem is to make my own L bracket and stays. First I remove the original L bracket by drilling the rivets. Then I get 1/8" x 3/4" mild steel bar stock from home depot and cut, bend and drill it to make a much sturdier L bracket. Then I remove the original fender stays and use them as a template for the new stays. I use 1/8" x 1/2" mild steel bar stock from home depot to make the fender stays. I use a 3" holesaw blade and bend the metal around it to form a curve that will fit nicely into the underside of the fender. Then I use the original stays as a guide for drilling the mounting holes. In the case of the front fender, I mount the stays to the fork using the small braze-on mounts that are usually located behind the axle on the fork instead of to the axle. I use #10 x 1/2" stainless screws with flat washers and locknuts to mount everything to the fender. I mount everything to make sure it fits properly and then disassemble and paint the new parts with good ole Rustoleum. Once fully dry I assemble and then mount it to the bike using blue locktight. I feel very confident that these new stays and brackets will last a long time. I only use four stroke motors so that helps with the vibration. I periodically inspect it for cracks just to be on the safe side. I have had no problems so far.

my ccm comfort bike came with plastic fenders,a couple tie wraps added to the mounts and they haven twitched in years,and now with the motor they are still fine.
i ride lots of gravel,and check my parts often for loosening hardware.

Ummm... Wow, I've spent alot of time on my fenders customizing for safety and planned on more security ideas but seeing that photo almost makes me wanna go out to my bike right now and rip em off and melt em down... I've had alot of bad karma/luck and this probly would break my heart and top the icing of the delicious cake. I don't even know what to think....

When I do ride though... I make sure every nut, bolt, screw everything is tight. But... I... I just don't know anymore...

"Fear sets in"...

Wow, I wish I had taken this thread more seriously, all I did was check my fenders and say "yup, still on good."

My rear fender just slipped under my wheel while I was doing 35 down a long gradual hill. My bike turned sideways and I got thrown onto the road at full speed. I'm so glad I was wearing a leather jacket and helmet, and that I've learned how to fall through years of martial arts training. No serious injuries, a few scrapes and doubtlessly some bruises will form.

I ripped my fenders off right at the side of the road, I'm not doing that again!

same set up used on my cousins new bike with motor -- ((fender same))
he's got a Happy Time
let's see if I remember all that's happened to him his first week of riding
tank came loose
petcock broke
muffler fell apart
head bolt came out -- stripped out
he just called me this morning -- head gasket blew

and now I need to warn him about his fenders !!!

wow -- hope that he's still HAPPY with that THING !!!

MM

Sometimes I wonder if Half the people on this fourm know anything about mechanical engineering, or have the forethought to look up how to put the engine and bikes together before doing so.

But it really sounds like your cousin either didnt mount everything tight enough and properly, or the kit he bought was absolutely worthless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back