Safety Beware the fenders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi dmfelicia, CaptJ has some nice pictures and discriptions on one of his posts on this thread, it's number 56 on page 6, I feel the same way, I'll be building a cruiser here in a couple of months, a "next" beach cruiser, and the cheap flimsy plastic fenders I'll remove cause I want chrome ones anyway!! And then I'll go from there, so don't despair, I would keep tabs on CaptJ and see how long his bracket solution lasts ( Thanx Jim!!! )( Don't you dare crash on us!!) HAVE FUN!.........Late...........cap'n schep

Last edited:
Go with polycarbonite fenders.don't use them,or have them made to be safe.No fun when a fender gets caught In the tire

Why aren't their any 2 piece fenders (think 2 halves) that go on the outside of conventional forks to be very sturdy and far enough away from the tire to prevent locking the wheel?

Another Idea Is to go to a motorcycle shop and get some advice off them.Just an Idea.

they all vibrate, Its the nature of those motors. The question is can we find a way to keep them from disintegrating. The setup I did by reinforcing the mounts on the front and letting the back move more freely seems to work for me.
I haven't put that many miles on the new set up (400 or so ) but things look better than last time.

Mike Frye

Doh!

I smashed my bike up real good this morning on the way to work.

I naively assumed that the sturdy fender stays I put on would keep me rolling upright. "If" something went wrong at the fender/fork connection.

I've been religeous about checking the condition of all of the fastenings. What you can't see is metal fatigue--the bracket itself broke. The stays held long enough that I was "only" going about 20 mph when the back wheel went round over the front.

Smashed my headlight, bent my fork, bashed my helmet (better than my head) and ruined a brand new pair of pants.

Surprisingly, less worse for the wear than I thought I would be, I'm still in awe of those bicycle racers who go down in a pile at 30 mph and jump up and keep going.

Stimulating.

Wow, Chris, sounds like you were lucky that you weren't hurt.
Helmets are cheap. Good that you were wearing it.

Whenever I start thinking about mounting fenders, I take another look at this thread.
Better to get wet & muddy than dead.

I usually ride in very heavy traffic. If I had an incident like that, I'd be lucky not to be hit by a car.

N.B. All pics have disappeared from this thread????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back