Bicycle bags/panniers

saddle bags

These are two setups I have used. Installed backer board on the nylon bags bought on e-bay $7 ea.
The leather bags were bought at a yard sale.

Attachments

• 025[1].JPG
    025[1].JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 162
  • dog-bike 011.JPG
    dog-bike 011.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 156
the rack and the frame protect the tires and spokes from the bags, and the bags are higher than the drive chain

I stitched up a leather harness for them using a heavy latigo leather (it tanned with oils, so is decently weatherproof)

37178_473467341150_500921150_7243681_4236846_n.jpg

there are snaps on top holding it to the rack (yellow arrow), which keep the bags from shifting laterally

63329_473467446150_500921150_7243686_22215_n.jpg

and snaps that hold it to a lower part of the rack to keep it from shifting forward or back. Also keeps the bags from flopping around

37178_473467351150_500921150_7243683_1790133_n.jpg

Great rig, BarronX;
Now can you run the cost figures for us again?
Got to admit I'm jealous that I have no way of stitching leather which is a deal breaker for me. Plus my rear engine makes me all the more discouraged. I'm having to settle for my Harry Potter rig for now.

Attachments

• IMG_1248a.jpg
    IMG_1248a.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 159
Terra, I could see another bracket over the top of your motor and fixed to the back of the seat. Take and make air-scoops (intakes) on the side of the seat but behind you! Wouldn't have to stick out that far! Let the air flow under your bags but over the motor!

Those do look great Baron! I like the snaps! What kind of sewing machine did you use?

Mine still hold a 12pck each, :)~

Last edited:
Those do look great Baron! I like the snaps! What kind of sewing machine did you use?

Mine still hold a 12pck each, :)~

stitching awl--
sewing-awl-kit-1216-00.jpg-250x

Tandy Leather stitching awl the only kind of sewing machine that could get through that leather would be a cobbler's machine. The leather is 1/8" thick.

The bags themselves were about $20, the awl (which I already have) is another $20, and you can get belt blanks for various prices, but the leather I used is left over from another project that I did where I got a full 20 sq. ft. hide.

And I am confident that these hold at least a 12 pack each side...

Terra, I could see another bracket over the top of your motor and fixed to the back of the seat. Take and make air-scoops (intakes) on the side of the seat but behind you! Wouldn't have to stick out that far! Let the air flow under your bags but over the motor!

or you could run a strut from somewhere behind the seat over to the struts that hold the motor itself...? hangs the bags from that; they would be below the engine...

Tandy also carries snap "kits" which are the snaps with a setting tool, for $10

Snap Kit

and I found a stitching awl on eBay for $7 with free shipping

stitching awl on eBay

the "thread" I used is a heavy waxed thread that is more like string than thread (also available through Tandy). Stitching is less likely to fail than crafting rivets.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back