Bicycle bags/panniers

The awl is a tool, I've never learned to use. One could easily use an ice pick (poking holes) and a larger needle such as for threading minnows. It makes me wonder if there's some technique tho (with your awl), that would be faster? I ask because I see it holds thread.

Your stiching looked so nice, I thought you ran it through a machine!

My Buddy has a W155 Singer. Has some timming issues but if we ever get it running right, would handle that job! Not necessarily a coblers machine, you'd be surprised what you can do with the older ones!

You are so right about the thread. It's amazing that they could make it so strong and thin!

Your comments gave me a good idea, Spider wire (fishing line)!

When I said a 12pack, I meant one on each side! LOL!

I had a cop eyeball me this summer w/ 2 2L and 2 Subs in each bag!!!LOL!

I must admit, those are far more cost effective and pretty big!

With any more weight, I would have had to run with the clutch in and jumped on (starting to pedal).

Thought some of the other guy's would like to see the elusive thread pecker in action. LOL! I've never used one in 39yrs. Pretty nifty little device! The W1155 Singer also performs a lock stitch similar to the awl. Many people don't know it but sewing machines have different stitches (not talking about zig zag ect.). It's the way they lock their stitch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k40kKKCGyac&feature=related

The awl is a tool, I've never learned to use. One could easily use an ice pick (poking holes) and a larger needle such as for threading minnows. It makes me wonder if there's some technique tho (with your awl), that would be faster? I ask because I see it holds thread.

these sorts of awls are used for sail repair as well. I found a site that has a decent demo of how the lock stitching works. While this is not as fast as machine stitching, it's faster than using a plain awl and a separate needle

stitching awl

I find it amazing how simple devices such as used in colonial days, make their way back to popularity in th modern world.

KOOL ! Another tip ! If you need strong thread for some projects , use dental floss.

I had one of those awls, and while I agree they are great little tools, like most tools they operate on an implicit assumption - which is that the user has two hands.

For myself, in stitching leather and canvas, I use a sail makers needle and a gang punch. Gang punches are hard to find, except in leather working tool sets, and those mostly have flat tines (for lacing) and are at most an inch wide. I took a 4 inch wide paint brush, stripped the ferrule off and discarded the bristle set (it was an old brush), then drove finish nails into the flat where the bristles butted to the handle every quarter inch. Clipped and sharpened, those nails give me 15 evenly spaced holes with one whack of the mallet, then I can just stitch the item up. I use an alligator clip on the back side to hold the free end of the thread to begin with, and once the first couple of stitches are set and tensioned I move it up to lock my thread loops.

Typically, after stitching the first 5-10 holes I go ahead and use the gang punch to pre-punch all needed holes. Works well - I used to make huarache sandals using tire rubber that way.

Simple:
I used to own a pair of those kind of sandals... made from old tires....That was in 1968. At that time in my life, I had no desire and no need to trouble "the man" for legal tender! Back then, less was somehow more. Sigh.
Mike

Simple:
I used to own a pair of those kind of sandals... made from old tires....That was in 1968. At that time in my life, I had no desire and no need to trouble "the man" for legal tender! Back then, less was somehow more. Sigh.
Mike
I made my first pair the summer of '67. Over the course of the next decade I made at least 60 pair, for family members and friends. The leather was free (we butchered 4 steers a year at home, and tanned the hides), tire rubber was free - all I ever bought was contact cement, thread, some rivets, and buckles.

Heck, I taught a couple of young Basotho men how to make them in Lesotho in '79. They soon had a thriving business.

Back