Bicycle Cargo Trailer

roughrider you will love it

Hey Sam. Now that you have it, I got a few questions. Is the hitch noisy? Have you tested to see what happens if it accidentally disconnects? (Some trailer tongues will immediately drive right into the spokes, like the Burley Nomad and Flatbed. Not good!) Last, if you take the cover off, can you load it with long things, like boards? That's a feature I'm looking for.

I keep looking at Surly trailers for hauling heavy stuff, but they are REALLY expensive, like, 8 hundred bucks or something with their fancy hitch! So I'm intrigued by your discovery. You may have found a really cheap alternative.

Is the hitch noisy?
No cannot hear it at all.

Have you tested to see what happens if it accidentally disconnects?
No but it does have a safety strap a locking pen
Looking at it it's a lot like Burley Nomad and Flatbed. but does not seem to have quite as L to it like the shaped Burley Nomad and Flatbed.
What I can see all of the Bicycle Trailers seem to have the same type hitch. A little different but the same
The hitch has a spring in it that makes it turn better. And it lock on pretty good even with out the pin in place

if you take the cover off, can you load it with long things, like boards
yes the covers all can be folded down.

And the best part of it is has a 180 pound max load far more then those $800.00 ones
and it's only $110.00 that even include shipping .
PM me and I will send you to the eBay seller they ships fast ordered it on Tuesdays got it on Saturday.
They even had them starting bid of $99.99 and some were sold at that price, but I did not want to wait 2 days for the auction to end just to save $10.00
They fold up real easy tires come on off real easy for storage.
It even comes with a pair of Snap Lock Ring Tool pliers.

Today I was able to get 2-16 pound bags of cat food
1 30 pound bag of dog food
4 gallons of milk
another 20-30 pounds of can goods meats and other groceries .
A total wait of 100-120 pounds
Pulled it home 8 miles with no problem , no swerving , no jumping a smooth ride.
now My 4 stroke engine would only pull it 15 MPH loaded uphill

Have any more questions post or pm me
22 MPH on level ground

Over all I do not thank you can get a better trailer even at $300-$400.00
and far better then Burley Nomad and Flatbed at 1/4 the price.
Get one you will see well worth the $110.00

Excellent to hear the hitch is quiet and you can fit long loads.

I have two trailers. The first is a BoB knockoff, but it's no BoB. It's a cheap PoS. But the hitch is super stable. And when I keep the low low and light, it can handle REALLY high speeds. No problem with a disconnect. Fabian tells me the BoB Ibex is the bomb for when the going gets narrow, but that's a different problem than hauling lumber and welding equipment around town. The second trailer I have is an Allen. It's good for groceries and stuff, but it can't handle heavy loads or long loads, so I've been looking for one that will replace the Allen.

As far as the Burleys and their disconnect problem, one of my friends just does not use the safety strap. Better to leave a road hazard behind you than crash!

Also, they squeak like mad. (My Allen does the same. I hate that.) I should add that Burleys use this rubber/plastic joint in the hitch, so they ARE different. Problem is, with regard to that poly-whatever part, they warn you about cold temperatures. Er, no thanks!

So thanks for your real world research. I'm sold. You scored!

Best,
Rick

Last edited:
Have you tested to see what happens if it accidentally disconnects.

There is no such thing as a trailer accidently disconnecting. If it does it's operator error, in fact it's not just operator error, it's stupidity on behalf of the operator. If the equipment is well maintained and carefully inspected before every ride (which includes attaching the trailer to the hitch) there won't be a problem with a trailer disconnect issue.

In 43,000 (almost 44,000 kilometers now) i've "never" had a trailer "accidentally disconnect" and that includes putting my box trailer on it's roof (doing a tight u-turn on a downward slope with the thing loaded to the max) and where the rubberised Burley hitch twisted 180 degrees, yet did not break.

There is no such thing as "a trailer accidentally disconnecting" if the safety mechanisms are properly installed and connected. The only way it can unintentionally disconnect is if there's a materials failure and for the material to fail, the bike and rider would have already parted company with the ensuing crash being the most likely reason for materials failure of the hitch mechanism.

There is no such thing as a trailer accidently disconnecting.

Fabian's probably right about operator error. It has not happened to me either, but it happened to one of my buddies who has the Burley flatbed. He lost the cotter thingy and rode without it on a long trip. Then, when riding down a washboarded old dirt road, the trailer came disconnected and the tongue went right into the spokes. It made me paranoid, so I always disconnect the hitch and see what happens when the trailer is held on by just the safety strap.

I was not on that trip, btw. I would have rigged something up for him to make the hitch more secure even without the right parts.

I don't understand why things are so hard for some people. The retaining pin that holds the trailer to the trailer hitch has a spring clip and the spring clip should be attached from the bottom. If the spring clip is fitted over the pin, the pin "cannot fall off" and even if the spring clip pops off the pin, the pin then has to work against gravity, falling upwards by a full 2 inches to disconnect from the hitch.

I am mega safety conscious with that kind of stuff so use a good length of mig wire and wrap a few turns around the bottom of the spring clip and back up to the hitch. There is no way; repeat, "there is no way that the trailer can come loose due to a pin falling out of the hitch".

Even so, i carry a spare pin and clip in my tool kit, just i case someone decides to take the pin and clip for the sake of being a smart a.s.s
Part of your routine is to always check over the bike and trailer before you park your backside on the seat.

Fabian's probably right about operator error. It has not happened to me either, but it happened to one of my buddies who has the Burley flatbed. He lost the cotter thingy and rode without it on a long trip. Then, when riding down a wash boarded old dirt road, the trailer came disconnected and the tongue went right into the spokes. It made me paranoid, so I always disconnect the hitch and see what happens when the trailer is held on by just the safety strap.

I was not on that trip, btw. I would have rigged something up for him to make the hitch more secure even without the right parts.

Since the accident I can be a little forgetful lay something down and 2 seconds forgetting where I just put it, after replacing pin after pin on my old trailer I now add a little piece if wire cable to mine and attach it to the hitch , that way I never loose it. and helps stop people from stealing it But even a nail screw, piece of wire stick, would work to get you home
I have forgot to clip my pin and have it slowly come up but I caught it pushed it back down and locked it, and can say I have never had a trailer come off a bicycle.

Did a little more riding and pulling it

First let me start by saying if you thank you will get a Burley or most $300.00+ trailers at 1/3 the price you will be disappointed.

Now I don't own a Burley but just by looking and reading it's a better trailer, and should be for the money and if you got it get it you will be happy.
The Burley has with removable interior space-divider
-Additional storage available with cargo rack accessory and carry bag
-multiple tie-down

But if you do not have $350.00, and need a good trailer that you might have to add the above and add your own tie down points this is there trailer for you .

If you are like me and $350.00 is just out of your price range , this is a trailer you will like.
It rides good and does the job folds up for storage.
I do wish they would of added a way to chain it up it easier , added some reflectors to the back.

I will post as I go to tell you how it rides and holds up
BikeTrailer2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wike DIY Trailer

Well, after hemming and hawing and reading reviews and talking back and forth with several of you all, I ended up going off in a whole new direction and ordering this DIY trailer from Wike. They are a small, family owned Canadian company, and super friendly and helpful on the phone.

This kit has high end wheels and bearings, by the way. But, :unsure:, for my purposes, I'll be able to build a light, strong, long bed for hauling wood!

Best,
Rick

Back