Big bore piston wash

I thought RTV wasn't compatible with gas. But it it works for you that's great.
Its resistant to it, but not proof. I think because it's not really in contact with it, should be fine. After a few pops the tiny, tiny, tiny gap is coated in oil or carbon. Never letting any gas actually contact the rubber. I think that's why it works. The oil don't bother it at all. I wouldn't use rtv on the intake side, it will leak eventually as the gas creeps through the rtv.

Its resistant to it, but not proof. I think because it's not really in contact with it, should be fine. After a few pops the tiny, tiny, tiny gap is coated in oil or carbon. Never letting any gas actually contact the rubber. I think that's why it works. The oil don't bother it at all. I wouldn't use rtv on the intake side, it will leak eventually as the gas creeps through the rtv.

OK, you could be right the 2 stroke oil makes a preventive barrier so the gas don't eat it up???

But you do understand that copper RTV exhaust sealant and copper head gasket sealant are two different products
Because at first I thought you were talking about spray on Copper coat head gasket sealant.
The OP uses Copper coat head gasket sealant

OK, you could be right the 2 stroke oil makes a preventive barrier so the gas don't eat it up???

But you do understand that copper RTV exhaust sealant and copper head gasket sealant are two different products
Because at first I thought you were talking about spray on Copper coat head gasket sealant.
The OP uses Copper coat head gasket sealant
I did after a few posts, it's why I tried to clear it up with the " rtv" and " not spray". lol

I thought RTV wasn't compatible with gas. But it it works for you that's great.

I use the red high heat RTV on all my gaskets, I even use it on my NT carb to fill up the gaps where it clamps on.

Over 2600 km (1615 miles) and not a leak in any of the gaskets, the carb I take off and give it a bit of a clean once in a while but the RTV is still solid even after 1000 km

If you guys ever want some wicked rtv silicone, go to a big international dealer & tell them you want a tube of gray silicone they use on powerstroke oil pans. When you put it on the steel oil pan, the pan literally starts to smoke, 1st time I used it I was like WTF is going on, it's a high torque etching type silicone. It does not hurt your metal parts either. Good stuff.

Also if you want the longest possible life out of your silicone, store it in your refrigerator & get it prior to the work your going to perform. Name brand silicone will last well over a year or two after it's been opened if stored in refrigerator.

Back