Big bore piston wash

Don't spray copper coat on too thick, but it also can come out of the can too thick and fool ya.
What can happen is, since copper coat never really dries, After torquing down the cyl head it can ooze out into the cyl and get in the piston rings. High heat turns copper coat to a hard glue. When the engine cools off the piston rings will be glued closed and your engine won't start next time because loss of compression. I know it happened to me and I used it for years.
I stopped using copper coat on my head gasket and the copper gasket seals just as good without it.
Clean up is much easier too. I noticed after about 500 miles when copper coat is heated to these cyl temperatures it dries hard and is a pain in the azz to clean off the head, cyl deck and copper gasket, The copper coat will have to be scraped and sanded off

IMO your better off not using it unless ya got minor scrapes and imperfections in your cyl deck or head sealing surfaces the copper coat works great in filling in those imperfections.

Don't spray copper coat on too thick, but it also can come out of the can too thick and fool ya.
What can happen is, since copper coat never really dries, After torquing down the cyl head it can ooze out into the cyl and get in the piston rings. High heat turns copper coat to a hard glue. When the engine cools off the piston rings will be glued closed and your engine won't start next time because loss of compression. I know it happened to me and I used it for years.
I stopped using copper coat on my head gasket and the copper gasket seals just as good without it.
Clean up is much easier too. I noticed after about 500 miles when copper coat is heated to these cyl temperatures it dries hard and is a pain in the azz to clean off the head, cyl deck and copper gasket, The copper coat will have to be scraped and sanded off

IMO your better off not using it unless ya got minor scrapes and imperfections in your cyl deck or head sealing surfaces the copper coat works great in filling in those imperfections.
Key is to apply a thin coat with your finger, mate the head to the jug. Torque lightly (5lbs or so), then allow to cure fully. After it has cured, then torque to spec. Most people slather it on. All it needs to do is fill the imperfections. A light translucent film on both pieces is more than plenty. The squish out is minimal an by allowing it to cure before torquing it reduces the chance of any sticky sticky getting where it shouldn't. Really don't need much at all, two large pea sized pieces is plenty.

Key is to apply a thin coat with your finger, mate the head to the jug. Torque lightly (5lbs or so), then allow to cure fully. After it has cured, then torque to spec. Most people slather it on. All it needs to do is fill the imperfections. A light translucent film on both pieces is more than plenty. The squish out is minimal an by allowing it to cure before torquing it reduces the chance of any sticky sticky getting where it shouldn't. Really don't need much at all, two large pea sized pieces is plenty.
Yes, copper coat does work as advertised
When copper coat is applied it never cures it stays tacky. High heat turns it hard.
Like I said, I used it for years, but now I find I never really needed it anyways. For me, it just makes everything harder to clean up.

Once, It sprayed on too thick and I had problems. The frustration of being stranded and calling for rescue, tearing down my engine and replacing a piston and ring set made me never use it again on my head gaskets.

Some say to just smear anti-seize on the head gasket and it does the same thing as copper coat (never tried it)

I still use Copper Coat on my motorcycle. When I take the front cyl exhaust pipe off I spray copper coat on the doughnut gasket to
(stick) hold it in the cyl while I put the pipe back on. I also have used it to make gaskets by spraying it on a surface then pressing a sheet of gasket material on it to transfer an impression.

Copper coat can also be used as anti seize. But IDK about high heat areas it might act like a loctite

Yes, copper coat does work as advertised
When copper coat is applied it never cures it stays tacky. High heat turns it hard.
Like I said, I used it for years, but now I find I never really needed it anyways. For me, it just makes everything harder to clean up.

Once, It sprayed on too thick and I had problems. The frustration of being stranded and calling for rescue, tearing down my engine and replacing a piston and ring set made me never use it again on my head gaskets.

Some say to just smear anti-seize on the head gasket and it does the same thing as copper coat (never tried it)

I still use Copper Coat on my motorcycle. When I take the front cyl exhaust pipe off I spray copper coat on the doughnut gasket to
(stick) hold it in the cyl while I put the pipe back on. I also have used it to make gaskets by spraying it on a surface then pressing a sheet of gasket material on it to transfer an impression.

Copper coat can also be used as anti seize. But IDK about high heat areas it might act like a loctite
I use copper rtv. No spray on. Tacks in 5, cures in an hour @ 70 +. Spray is to messy. I use it absent a gasket. You can dial in the squish insanely accurate with an rtv head gasket. Plus if you do it right, it holds forever. 3 years on one engine and still no leak, over 3k hard hitting miles. Just a thin wipe of the finger over all sealing surfaces. Never letting any inside on the edges. When taking it all apart, It peels right off with a quick pull or slide of the box knife blade.

I use copper rtv. No spray on. Tacks in 5, cures in an hour @ 70 +. Spray is to messy. I use it absent a gasket. You can dial in the squish insanely accurate with an rtv head gasket. Plus if you do it right, it holds forever. 3 years on one engine and still no leak, over 3k hard hitting miles. Just a thin wipe of the finger over all sealing surfaces. Never letting any inside on the edges. When taking it all apart, It peels right off with a quick pull or slide of the box knife blade.
I've heard about that stuff but never tried it. Isn't that copper rtv advertised as 750*F exhaust gasket sealant
All the reviews say it's great

BTW Permatex Copper Coat head gasket sealant and Permatex RTV Copper exhaust sealant are two different things

I've heard about that stuff but never tried it. Isn't that copper rtv advertised as 750*F exhaust gasket sealant
All the reviews say it's great
Yeah, I use it on 4t engines exhaust when I dont have a gasket. Thought I would try it for a head gasket on a bike a few years back. I didn't want to wait for parts. An to my suprise, it worked and keeps on working. lol. I thought it would blow it out the first day or first week. Not a drip of oil, holding tight. I use the brand name stuff, can't remember the name, but it's all over.

Yeah, I use it on 4t engines exhaust when I dont have a gasket. Thought I would try it for a head gasket on a bike a few years back. I didn't want to wait for parts. An to my suprise, it worked and keeps on working. lol. I thought it would blow it out the first day or first week. Not a drip of oil, holding tight. I use the brand name stuff, can't remember the name, but it's all over.
I thought RTV wasn't compatible with gas. But it it works for you that's great.

Back