BIG mobility scooter motor

F

Fly_boy_bc

I am building a chain driven motor assist chopper bike. (O.C.C Schwinn Stingray lookalike)

For power I have a motor and controller from an Invacare Panther MX-4. The fellow at the store told me it Was either 1.5 or 2 HP...Not in that range but one or the other.

I purchased two brand new 37 AH 12V. SLA batteries and I am about ready to begin fabrication.

I have several questions. All of them about the motor which really need to be answered before I can go much farther.

Firstly does anybody know what the no load RPM would be? Even if you just know about mobility scooters in general please answer so far that piece of data has eluded me.

Can I run this 24V motor at 36V. and get away with it?

Do I have to worry about the fact that the motor will be driven by the wheel whenever I try to coast? I have been planning to use a BMX freewheel rear sprocket as the drive sprocket so This would not happen but if I can avoid an unnecessary complication I will.

Motor: Pihsiang Machinery Mfg. Order code M3-9MNF-2A

Panther powered.JPG

Thanks for any help you can give.

Gary

I've heard of people overvolting motors extremely with no ill side effects. Just stop frequently when testing to feel how hot the motor is getting under different amounts of load. If it's too hot to touch you're definitely in danger of frying the thing. It would probably be good measure to install some breakers on the bike so they'll trip if you pull enough amps to fry the thing or just in case of a short so all your wiring doesn't turn into glowing heating elements like a toaster. What kind of controller are you using? Generally I've heard an overvolted/amped controller will fry before the motor or simply not turn on. Is the motor brushed or brushless?
Make sure your chopper can handle the weight of those two monster batteries let alone three of them to achieve 36v. I have a currie trailz with 20ah 24v and that seems heavy enough as it is. Try to mount them really low or the bike won't handle very well at all.

Is the motor brushed or brushless?
Make sure your chopper can handle the weight of those two monster batteries let alone three of them to achieve 36v. I have a currie trailz with 20ah 24v and that seems heavy enough as it is. Try to mount them really low or the bike won't handle very well at all.

Brushed motor, Big brute. I was actually suprised that the batteries were not so heavy as I thought they were going to be 'prox. 23 Lbs. each. I am mounting them in low slung panniers for the low C of G.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Back