biggest engine on friction drive ?

DetonatorTuning

Local time
6:15 AM
ok, who has some real power running thru a friction system ?

what are the percieved limits and pitfalls ?

yes, you know what i'm thinking - HEHEHE

steve

Do it!
Try a 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" roller

Spinning the roller on the tire???? Maybe not as you are already used to
applying the power gradually on the GEBE

Try a 4 inch roller.
Every body loves a friction drive UNTIL IT RAINS!!!
The rear wheel is a spacer between the roller and the pavement.
I hate tequilla as well as the maggot in mezzzcal. UUUUUGGGGGHHHH!
Jack Daniels or beer with BBQ chicken thighs 4 me

DT,

Read a post maybe two weeks ago about a guy who fabricated his own friction setup and had a pretty big 81cc engine on it. It looked to be shaped like a B&S horizontal shaft engine, maybe ~30 pounds or so!

I am thinking with a strong enough mount, one could easily run a 6.5hp B&S as a friction drive with a centrifugal clutch and maybe easily a 2, 3, or 4 inch roller on it.

Any volunteers???

Why use only one roller? Chain-drive multiple rollers to increase the surface area in contact with the tyre - two would be easy, 3 requires more careful alignment in respect to tyre diametre.

It would require a little more thought in the design stages, but its certainly not impossible. It would be easier to implement that a curved/profiled roller (which again is dependent on tyre geometry.

Haha, DT are you just trying to make the most insanely high powered of every type of system? :) good for you.

I can see how a high powered friction setup would be a total blast, they're so light and simple that the thing would FLY and be really reliable. However if you were always rough on the throttle you'd probably burn tires up faster than with a lesser powered motor. I havent experienced the slippage issues yet as I dont usually ride when it's wet. And if I was to I'd ride my xr75 with chain drive and fenders anyhow.

Haha, DT are you just trying to make the most insanely high powered of every type of system? :) good for you.

I can see how a high powered friction setup would be a total blast, they're so light and simple that the thing would FLY and be really reliable. However if you were always rough on the throttle you'd probably burn tires up faster than with a lesser powered motor. I havent experienced the slippage issues yet as I dont usually ride when it's wet. And if I was to I'd ride my xr75 with chain drive and fenders anyhow.

no, i'm not really trying to break every system out there, but, yes it had occured to me that a friction drive does have some very attractive attributes.

other input seems to lean toward a real life threshold of about 2.2HP though i think the dual roller idea has some merrit.

i'm not really a very original builder, i tend to look for other ways to use stuff that's around.

i am coming to terms with the Staton verticle gear drive and getting some good speed and sustainability. it took some trial and error for the bracing alignment to stay put.

steve

I love my chain drive but the friction units have a special place in my heart. When my wife and I both were running friction drives, both would ride in my 2" receiver mount bike rack. Not the case with the chain drive due to being tail heavy. We're heading to the coast for a few days and I want to take my bike, trouble is how. Could take the 3/4 ton truck, pull the trailer 600 miles or forget the whole thing. Decided to take the bike apart and stuff it in the back of the Pacifica. With a friction drive, there would be no question, pop'm on the rack and go.

There was at one time a two speed friction design. The idea being that there was a two position selection position for the mount and two different sized rollers.

The idea was that the primary roller would be used to start and run to mid speed, the second position (gear) would then be selected which would give higher speed running...

So long as the motor was running both rollers at the same time it would just be a matter of making up the mount to be dual position.

Jemma xx

Back