that should be a nice little engine

you say a bit slow
yes - that may be so
but - then again
maybe it's not running up to par -- yet

that smell of rubber from the friction wheel
might want to check your adjustment

take it slow as you check it out and ride that thing

Also, the friction wheel will dry rot from just sitting. Probably neeed a new one.

Thanks for that, it seems to me friction wheel is ok, solid. I ran the bike up and down the road last night for about twenty minutes. Picked up speed when the engine is warm, so seemed ok.

Today I noticed the tyres were low, about 15psi, so pumped them up to about 45 psi. It was wet outside, so I also adjusted the clearance between the drive roller and the tyre to less than the 4mm setting for dry days, to about 1 or 2 mm.

Then in the rain I did about four miles non stop on a bike path. Again seems ok to me, driving through wet leaves, mud and dirt bike path. Never went to full throttle but cruised at normal pedaling speeds.

The owners manual say nothing about breaking in the motor. I think it's new, never been used. Wondering when I can go full throttle?

Sky

with that new motor -- at least a few or more hours of break in -- minimum would think

a nice break in period can truly mean long lasting engine in many cases
if nothing else -- let's the rings seat properly

thinking that little machine will grow on you with time
and as it does get broken in -- maybe even a little faster

have fun as you ride that thing

Got the Bikebug engine working today! About half hour of fiddling.

Put some WD40 into the pistion, that sort of worked, anyway it made a put putting noise, but no power, just a drag.

Took out the spark plug, sprayed some electrical contact cleaner on it, then after replacing it, still no power.

Took out the spark plug again, this time scraped the spark plug contact inside the rubber cap, and sprayed that and the plug again with electrical contact cleaner. After putting it back in, then it powered right up.

Little rough at first, needed the choke at times. Bit slow, but it pulls me along ok. I can smell burning rubber of the friction drive wheel forming itself around the tyre. (y)

i used to run one of these here in he uk.i hate the plastic rollers if you havent got it just right they soon wear out.the plastic cover on mine also became brittle and cracked in places.they run quite well and you should get a good 25 out of them.

You will find that by experimenting with different tires, inflation, & amount of pressure the drive wheel puts on tires, you will come up with the best overall performance. Run a few tanks thru the engine before going at top speed so much.

I don't know what your expectations are , in MPH, but don't expect higher speeds. 20-25 is probably average.

www.bikebug.net website updated

We are looking for Bike Bug Brothers who would like to have their smiling face and bike in the photo gallery.

Please send your photo to msamigo@aol.com

Also if you have a video we will post.

BITW (Brothers In The Wind)

Mike

Back