Bike build perilous

Just thought I would post an update, I haven't put a great deal of distance on the bike yet due to an unfortunately busy schedule. But after my ride today I felt it was about time to report back on how its been going.

Overall the bike has been wonderful and I have successfully completed a few moderately long rides and todays ride has pushed me over the 250Km (150Mi) mark on the odometer.

--------------------

You may recall that I had an issue with oil getting into my air filter, after much deliberation and extensive Internet searches i decided to stick with the multigrade oil but switched to a synthetic and was very careful about the quantity I put in when filling the engine (ie 100ml or a bit less but not a drop more) and so far I have had no further issues.

The engine is going really good now, could not be happier with it.

--------------------

My pre-tensioner on the primary drive chain has completely resolved the issue I was having with the spring loaded tensioner being defeated at high engine speeds.

--------------------

I had 2 issues with the tacho,

1. some how the cylinder selection switch moved into the 6cyl position inside the electronics box all by itself and messed up the reading.

2. When I assembled the gauge pod I took a bit of a shortcut and just used a blutak to stop it moving around inside there, needless to say that didn't last long so I had to devise a less perilous method of holding it in place.

--------------------

I have had 1 bolt that has vibrated lose during the course of every ride. this morning I simply crossed my fingers and made it as tight as a nun and hoped nothing striped out, I know I should have brought some loctite but I got away with it and it didn't come lose today atleast. If it happens again I'll loctite it.

--------------------

The other issue is with the station gear box, those who have been following this thread will be aware that I mounted it vertically. To answer the question of, "are there are any problems with doing that?", the answer is "kind of". I seem to have a grease consumption issue.

attachment.php

I'm not sure how its getting out the output shaft like that I would be interested to know if anybody has had this issue with a horizontally mounted one or not? I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I should address this.

--------------------

The only other issue I have had to contend with is that 3 times now the ribbon cable connector for the information display has worked loose and caused problems. I was thinking to just buy myself a hot glue gun and put a little blob on it to stop that happening again.

--------------------

The only other thing is I really really need a more comfortable seat. :)

Overall going great, looking forward to warmer weather and more rides!!! Definitely no regrets with this project!!!

Back