Bike frame as a fuel tank, has anyone tried this?

I

itskeith

Hi,

I am really new to this world but I was thinking about using the Felt MP bike (see the picture), and using the fuel tank looking frame, for the fuel tank. Unlike some of the other bikes, this one is made of steel.

I tried to include a picture of the bike but since I am new, no dice. See the Felt website for a photo if you want.

Foreseeable problems?

Thanks in advance,

ItsKeith

Problems

A few years ago a friend of mine wanted to do that, he finally baled on the idea and bought "Grube gt2 frames, of which I don't think any more loose in this country, I know I sold both mine. It looks very much like the felt bike, Mike

iRide Customs said:
The biggest problem I could think of would be capacity.

Dan

Hey Dan,

from the looks of this bike, it appears that it would hold a pretty good volume. Take a look.

2101_mp_bike_3.jpg

Looks good. Olive drab the engine too?

As a Navy brat I remember gray bicycles, might have had an SP on them.

Very nice looking bike.

How would you go about opening that up to see the actual space you have in there.

I'm thinking, what if you dont check and the space continues through the bike frame inside the tubes and when you pour gas, none will get to the engine beucase it flowed to another section of the frame.

but if you DO open it, modify it for use as a tank, you have to find a way to seal it back, and it wont look as good.

touch situation. :???: best of luck

would it not be sealed at both ends where its welded? A small hole drilled could check and see if it was pressurizable <-- Is that a word? But that should allow for a test and if so then he could mount the fuel valve and gas cap from there?

Otherwise if that did not work could proceed from there to do ?? no idea what would be a good course of action at that point but the hole could be sealed with something as it would be tiny.

Tank frame info

Hello all, there are substantial holes in the tank bike frame, one in head tube and one in seat tube on this particular model.
My friend is real chummy with Felt, and knows that for sure. This is what he and I had discussed that made him switch to the Grube frames, even tho he could get Felt at IMPORT price.
Mike

Back