Bike frame as a fuel tank, has anyone tried this?

HBLOCAL;
Wish I were closer by, and on the left coast. Would love to see your bikes in person.
Thank you for the well written information on tank sealing.
Do you have a favorite Felt model for motored conversion?
I am also curious about chain clearing tire issues with these fine bikes.
What has been your experience in solving build problems with Felts?

Filler Neck

You guys that are converting these tanks for fuel; can someone steer me in the direction of a source for a filler neck w/cap to weld on the tank. All I find are automotive replacement type necks and fillers for cars, trucks, etc. I suppose they'd be usable by cutting off the neck but then the cap is automotive type. Not acceptable.

Check with Simpson bikes for a gas filler. I think he used a hardware store item.

I tossing around the Felt as an option, but has anyone done this to a Giant Simple Single cruiser?
Simple-Single-Aluminum.jpg

Simple-Single-Black.jpg

One question and one caution. The question is, Can the tank be sealed? The caution is, Make sure you put a front brake on it for safety. This bike would look best with a drum in the front hub. Rim brakes would ruin the retro look.

I've got a Felt "Yellow Cab". It is the steel frame so the gas tank is very narrow. I have a Felt "MP" that is aluminum so it has a bigger tank, but I am not using it as a motorbike. The problem with the thin frames is that you are limited with the filler cap you can use. I went to the plumbing section of Home Depot and found what I needed there. The problem I have is when I go to fill up. The filler hole is too narrow for a regular funnel. You will have to make a custom funnel. You will also have to vent the filler cap otherwise you will get vapor lock and have to unscrew the cap every 1/4 mile. My first attempt was to drill a very small hole in the cap. That worked, but gas would leak out and I would smell. I went back to Home Depot and bought a cap with a hose fitting nozzle on it. I then connected an 8" hose to it and aimed it toward the ground like those off-road bikes with the vented gas caps. I did use JB Weld to seal the threaded filler pipe. So, now I am very happy with the solution. You can see pictures of the bike on my website under "Projects". I need to update the pictures. The pictures don't show my current gas cap solution. I will post the new pictures by Sunday night.

My website:

www.AnaheimBasementPub.com

-Jim

Those are the forks that came with the MP. They are made to look like motorcycle forks, but they are fake. There is no front suspension.

Back